Reverb & Compression bundle for Pro Tools LE

i just bought the DV toolkit bundle for pro tools and I've gotta say that the TL space reverb is wicked. plus having the extra tracks available to you is killer. it has saved me so many times already. and smack is a killer compresser too. for the price of the MP toolkit, i dont think you can beat it.

giraffe said:
i use massey plugs a lot as well.

and as for waves stuff (which i like) i'd say get the native power pack rather then the rennesance.

IMO and all that.

Just curious why you'd choose the native over the renaissance? I use their renaissance reverb and I love it. It's good for making things just sound good or for simulating a real acoustic space.

GlaceVerb is another good reverb plugin, it's free. Stands above all the other free ones by a mile in my opinion. Makes things sound better but isn't quite as good at simulating a real room as the Waves reverb, although it does it pretty well. It just doesn't sound as realistic.

Bro, forget all the rest and get Classik Studio Reverb. It's RTAS. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. IR's sound stupid IMO and take up a huge amount of cpu. Demo this one out before anything else. Do not even THINK about buying a waves reverb before this. That crap sucks, IMO, except trueverb which I found a use for with adding early reflection/ambience. The only reverb that compares to this that I've been able to try(many) is the UAD-1 plate 140 which I have, but you need a UAD-1 card for that, and it's not as versatile as it only gives you plate verb. You'll have a little extra after this and maybe those massey plugs, which I haven't tried but they are supposed to be radicool.

Do what tastes right, bro.

I'll have to download the demo for CSR. It's more than I'd typically pay for a reverb alone but should be worth checking out at least. The Pro Tools free reverb is pretty different from the others mentioned on here. Waves (Trueverb, RenVerb, IR-l), McDSP (Revolver LE - not a big fan but I haven't used it much), and CSR all have downloadable demos. Best bet is to test them out and see if there's anything you think is worthwhile. It would give you a chance to test out the compression available in McDSP Project Studio and Waves Ren bundle as well to see if you like them better than the Massey stuff.

I just finished the 2 week demo of Project Studio and was pretty happy with Compressorbank LE but I think if I was going to pick up any of their stuff it would be Classic Pack to get the full versions as well as the multiband.

So... I went with the Massey compressor and Waves Ren Maxx bundle which includes their IR-L convolution reverb. Then, as if idiocy had implications, I trialed the CSR after the fact. Oh man. The CSR is clearly the better reverb. Much more musical. Where the IR-L is cold and calculating (though many times better than my existing reverbs), the CSR is just perfect, beautiful.

If you're reading this and considering a reverb upgrade in the $300-$400 range you will not be disapointed with the CSR. I'll likely cave and buy it in a few months. Damn it.

nuemes said:
So... I went with the Massey compressor and Waves Ren Maxx bundle which includes their IR-L convolution reverb. Then, as if idiocy had implications, I trialed the CSR after the fact. Oh man. The CSR is clearly the better reverb. Much more musical. Where the IR-L is cold and calculating (though many times better than my existing reverbs), the CSR is just perfect, beautiful.

If you're reading this and considering a reverb upgrade in the $300-$400 range you will not be disapointed with the CSR. I'll likely cave and buy it in a few months. Damn it.

Damn, wish i would have read this thread sooner. Couldn't remember if CSR worked with protools or not though. How is that massey compressor?

Yeah - thanks though - you are absolutley right regarding the CSR.

I like the Massey compressor plug so far. I've only had a few days with it, it's better sounding than the BombFactory freebies that come with PTLE. Sounds excellent on snare & kick, I like it on rock vocals as well. Need to mess around with it more still. Pretty hard to beat for $69. The demo is simple to download and free; well worth checking out:

http://www.masseyplugins.com/index_v2.html?page=ct4

SonicAlbert said:
You have to try Tape Head. The most addicting plugin I've used yet!

Albert, what instruments/tracks are you using TapeHead on? I downloaded it but haven't used it yet.

nuemes said:
Yeah - thanks though - you are absolutley right regarding the CSR.

I like the Massey compressor plug so far. I've only had a few days with it, it's better sounding than the BombFactory freebies that come with PTLE. Sounds excellent on snare & kick, I like it on rock vocals as well. Need to mess around with it more still. Pretty hard to beat for $69. The demo is simple to download and free; well worth checking out:

http://www.masseyplugins.com/index_v2.html?page=ct4

I don't use pro tools at home, and I don't think they'd let me bring a demo plugin and install it at school. They seem to only get bigger name plugins where I go to school, I bet they've never even heard of massey or think it sucks because it's not as well known. I would probably switch to pro tools LE if the 32 track thing wasn't there. Maybe he'll make vst plugs one day, but I doubt it because he's an ex digidesign employee. I would especially be interested in buying tape head, and his limiter.

I'm a big fan of the limiter. The music production toolkit will allow you to use I think 48 tracks in LE. I'm not a fan or how much they're charging for it (more expensive than the actual Pro Tools software) but if you really want to use PT and need more tracks it's about your only option. It comes with some plugins but I still don't think it's worth it. Just my opinion. What are you recording at home that uses 32 active audio tracks? I guess it's only 16 stereo.

I just checked out some more info on the music production toolkit and they let you expand to 48 tracks mono or stereo. That's pretty good. Doesn't matter for me much yet because I don't use that many tracks in a session and I think my computer would be maxed out before my software. If I had one of the new 8 core powermacs it would be pretty sweet.

SonicAlbert said:
Everything. Like I said, I'm addicted to it!

Everything, eh? I'm going to check it out tonight. Thanks for recommending TapeHead and the Massey compressor.

Tape Head is *seriously* great on synth tracks. I also use it on electric guitars, drums, bass, even some vocals. I'm mixing some stuff for my brother, and some sessions have Tape Head on every single track! I keep feeling like I must be doing something wrong, but I just like the way it sounds better with TH!

scrouch said:
I'm a big fan of the limiter. The music production toolkit will allow you to use I think 48 tracks in LE. I'm not a fan or how much they're charging for it (more expensive than the actual Pro Tools software) but if you really want to use PT and need more tracks it's about your only option. It comes with some plugins but I still don't think it's worth it. Just my opinion. What are you recording at home that uses 32 active audio tracks? I guess it's only 16 stereo.

I just checked out some more info on the music production toolkit and they let you expand to 48 tracks mono or stereo. That's pretty good. Doesn't matter for me much yet because I don't use that many tracks in a session and I think my computer would be maxed out before my software. If I had one of the new 8 core powermacs it would be pretty sweet.

I've recorded some songs where if you count stereo as 2 contain 60-70 active tracks. LOTS of tracks, lots of bussing, fx, etc. I like the buss things a lot. Just my FX send tracks might take up more than 1/3 of that 32.

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
I've recorded some songs where if you count stereo as 2 contain 60-70 active tracks. LOTS of tracks, lots of bussing, fx, etc. I like the buss things a lot. Just my FX send tracks might take up more than 1/3 of that 32.
32 is the number of audio tracks (tracks with actual audio data on them). MIDI tracks, fx sends, busses, instrument tracks, and master channels are totally separate. I think you can have either 32 or 64 bus/send tracks--counted separately from the audio tracks.

im not speaking from experience but the waves have got really good reviews!
and the extran tracks are needed in my case as with extra processing power
i tend to max stuff out easily and my computers a powerhouse!
3gb ram 2.33core 2 duo processer

Albert, you are riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipe for the evil joys of aaaaaaaaanalog. Watch as it eats your money, and smiles, and puts it's gorgeous and sinister beauty all over your takes. Yesssss, dark lords of magnets and rust, I think this one will serve you well...

Back