Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Reverb & Compression bundle for Pro Tools LE

Thanks

Reverb & Compression bundle for Pro Tools LE

Sign in to disable this ad
    Reverb & Compression bundle for Pro Tools LE

So, I need as high quality software reverb and compression I can afford for Pro Tools LE. Budget is absolutely no more than $500. This is for use at mixdown. This is for a G5 Mac, fully up to date.

I’ve found 3 bundles that combine reverb and compression:

1. Pro Tools Music Production Toolkit: $495, includes TL Space convolution reverb and Smack compressor (plus MP3 option and 48 tracks)
    2. McDSP Project Studio Pack: $495, includes “light control versions” of Revolver LE Reverb, CompressorBank LE (Plus Analog Channel LE, Chrome Tone LE, FilterBank LE, ML4000 LE limiter, Synthesizer One LE)
    3. Waves Renaissance Maxx Native Bundle: $449 includes IR-L Convolution Reverb ‘Light’, Renaissance Reverberator, Renaissance Compressor (plus Renaissance Channel, Renaissance Equalizer, Renaissance Vox, Renaissance Bass, Renaissance DeEsser)

I have not used any of these before and have no idea which is a higher quality reverb or compressor than the other. If you’ve used any of these please advise your experience.

To give you an idea, my current software reverb is the generic one that comes with Pro Tools LE. Outboard reverb is a Yamaha REV500. For compression I have the PTLE generic compressors (version III) and the Bomb Factory freebies (which are entirely unimpressive compared to my outboard RNC & Joe Meek MC2).

If you have any other recommendations outside of these packages I’m all ears. Note again, I really just need a good quality (read: it does not muddy the sound as crummy software plugs can do) software reverb and compressor, under $500 combined.
    Last edited by nuemes; 05-02-2007 at 15:25.

Thanks
    I bought the Waves Renaissance pack and I love it. Great Verb, great compressor. =]

Thanks
    I think you can download a 15 day demo of the mcdsp stuff, you should definately do that. My short experience with mcdsp plugs made me really wish I had the cash to throw down on the entire bundle.

Thanks
    Download demos for McDSP and Waves RenMaxx. I like the waves stuff more than the LE versions of the McDSP plugins. RenEQ and DeEsser are also really good to have. I was going to pick up RenMaxx but ended up getting Gold instead. I was a big fan of the Ren Reverb but am also starting to like IR-L a lot. Waves has a ton of impulse responese you can download or order free on DVD when you pick up the RenMaxx bundle (or other bundles with IR-L in it). There is a good variety as well as emulations of classic hardware reverbs. All these plugins are fine on a G5. I'm just using an iMac 2Ghz G5 with Pro Tools M-Powered and don't have any issues.

Thanks
    Also, I think the Production Toolkit is a ripoff for what you get. Unless you need the extra tracks, and your computer can handle it (Pro Tools will still only let you get to 85% CPU in LE with the production tool kit), it's really not worth it. For $50, 7.3 is a better upgrade and comes with the MP3 option if you need it.

Thanks
    fwiw, i bought the music production toolkit only for the extra tracks. i found it for $399 at altomusic.com. i told guitar center and they matched the price. i did not know much about the other plugins that came with it, but tlspace and smack le are now staples in my pro tools le diet.. i really love smack, it is extremely versatile. it can be used on anything. i also love tlspace. you can get anything from natural room reverbs to hairy springs. i think $500 is maybe a bit too much for the MPT, but $400 is not bad at all for this bundle. plus you get the extra tracks as a bonus, and hybrid, which i have also ended up useing quite a bit....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scrouch
    Also, I think the Production Toolkit is a ripoff for what you get. Unless you need the extra tracks, and your computer can handle it (Pro Tools will still only let you get to 85% CPU in LE with the production tool kit), it's really not worth it. For $50, 7.3 is a better upgrade and comes with the MP3 option if you need it.
    I'm gonna have to disagree with this one.
    You get 5 plugins, all which total well over 500 (DINR LE is 500 by itself!), the MP3 option, extra tracks and multitrack BD. I think it's a great deal if you really plan on using all those items.
    And since when did 7.3 start shipping with the MP3 option?

Thanks
    Ahh, you're right, I picked up the MP3 option from Digidesign the same day I got 7.3. Think it was $19.95. Sorry about that.

I'm not a huge fan of the plugins it comes with, at least for the price. Digidesign lists crazy prices for it's individual plugins on it's site but they really aren't worth that if you look around. For example, Maxim is listed at $445, but it comes included in the $99 Producer Factory Bundle. DINR is listed at $495 on digidesign's site but that doesn't mean it's worth it or that it's $400 better than even Soundsoap. I guess it depends on what people are using the software for and what their system is like. With the 85% cpu cutoff in pro-tools LE and M-powered I don't think most people can make use of the extra tracks so I don't see it as being a big advantage. I was thinking of buying it but took at look at what it could really add to my setup compared to what I needed and what the cost of similar products were and didn't think it was worthwhile. Unless you really need noise reduction and a drum replacer I find bundles like RenMaxx to be a better deal overal.

Thanks
    I forgot to mention this, it won't help you with the reverb but it's worth checking out. Have a look at Massey Plugins. The basic versions are free and the upgraded ones are pretty cheap. At least worth downloading the basic versions to check out.

Thanks
    Right, the Steve Massey plugins are incredible. They just sound right and work extremely well in a mix. They are inexpensive, too. My favorites are Tape Head, the L2007 limiter, CT4 compressor, and VT3 eq. Okay, four out of his five plugins are my favorites!

You could pick up a few of those plus the WaveArts Masterverb5 and be on your way in style.

Don't feel that you have to buy all the plugins in a bundle. I prefer to cherry pick my favorite plugins from various different developers.

Two other plugins I find pretty essential are PSP Audioware's Vintage Warmer 2, and their MasterQ. But I use the Massey stuff a lot more at this point.

Thread Information