Removing squeeks and pops

jhughs

Any advice on removing transient noises?

I have a recording of my daughter playing a rapid fiddle peice and for some reason (I don't know what she was doing) on some of the runs there's a brief squeek. I've been able to reduce it a bit by using the parametric EQ and sharply attenuating a narrow band around 3300Hz, but the squeek is only less instrusive - it's still there and I know I'm supressing other tones that shouldn't be reduced.

I've also just realized that I have a bad habit when playing my Stratocaster using the middle pickup of hitting it with the pick. (I kept hearing this "click" sound on my recordings and it took a while to figure out what it was.)

Is there a preferred method for removing transient noises while mixing? Or is it really a matter of making sure the initial recording is clean and using punch-ins to fix problems? (Okay, that would be better - but if I don't notice the problem while recording then what?)

A teadious way of doing it: finding some type of click remover software and going one by one on the clicks and applying the effect on it.

But man, in my honest opinion, I'd rather just re record it...saves your work and saves you from pulling your hair out.

Back