Removing instrument noise

T4T3Z0R

Hey I'm new to the forums so sorry if this has been asked before. There are a couple of songs I'm trying to record that are easier for me to get right if I'm singing and playing it at the same time. The question I have is if there is any way to remove the sound of the electric guitar from the vocal track without using something like rx5? I'm using an amp modeler plugin so it's not super loud but Ito definitely noticeable and and made more so due to the fact that it sounds nothing like the post plugin guitar track.

I don't know that it has been asked before because most people would just use headphones.

Don't let it get onto the vocal first place. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, as they say.

I get the problem with people who can't/won't learn the skills to separate singing and playing with an acoustic guitar - acoustic guitars actually make a noise that will bleed into a mic - electric guitar should never be a problem, especially if you're using an amp sim, because you just put it in your headphones and don't let it make actual noise, apart from the physical hitting of the strings, which shouldn't be too bad because *signal to noise ratio*

I don't know that it has been asked before because most people would just use headphones.

Don't let it get onto the vocal first place. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, as they say.

I get the problem with people who can't/won't learn the skills to separate singing and playing with an acoustic guitar - acoustic guitars actually make a noise that will bleed into a mic - electric guitar should never be a problem, especially if you're using an amp sim, because you just put it in your headphones and don't let it make actual noise, apart from the physical hitting of the strings, which shouldn't be too bad because *signal to noise ratio*

I am using head phones. I also have my condenser mic a good couple of inches above my head and I'm not right on top of the mic and it's still picking up the sound of me physically playing the guitar.

Track separately. Start with a scratch track of you playing and singing at the same time, if you need to. Then go back and record each part separately, mute the scratch track, and mix.

Track separately. Start with a scratch track of you playing and singing at the same time, if you need to. Then go back and record each part separately, mute the scratch track, and mix.
Good suggestion. The whole reason for me needing to record the vocal and guitar tracks at the same time is some funky timings so having a scratch track to record over the top of should work well

+1. Or practice each individually, like Armistice wrote. You mentioned timing issues... but you didn't mention if you're using a click track. Unless you're playing something like Phish, you can jump on those beats easily with a click. Even if something pushes up or back a 1/2 or quarter, those clicks are still there.

Is it possible it's just bothering you, but no one else would ever notice? IMO playing and singing at the same time makes for a better performance - so keep doing it. There's nothing wrong with some bleed, or some string noise in the context of a full mix.

I wouldnt worry about it too much.
Even a major artist (who is not so major anymore), Melissa Ethridge, tracked this way. There was always some guitar bleed on her vocal mic and some vocal bleed into the guitar mic.

Provided you do a good performance and are in time with yourself, it may not be an issue.

The whole reason for me needing to record the vocal and guitar tracks at the same time is some funky timings

Here it goes a few odd ideas... If your problem is timing, probably you are only missing the movement of your rhythm hand as an aid to make the sung notes drop correctly. In this case just pretend to play an air guitar while you sing may help. It works for me. Now if you really need to feel the guitar physically maybe muting the strings with tape may help to reduce drastically their sound. Finally you can also wear a long and heavy Mexican "poncho" and keep your guitar under that... an eiderdown around your neck can work too... LoL!

:laughings:

Move the mic. Having it a couple inches above your head is causing most of the problem because it obviously has to point down at you...and the guitar. Place the mic in front of you and sing directly into it, or slightly below your face, pointing up and away from the guitar, and sing over it.

Us the polar pattern of the mic to your advantage.

Back