Redraw sound waves in ProTools to tune?

clazymike

I'm sorry to ask such a basic question like this, but what does one mean when they tuned tracks by "redrawing the sound waves in Pro Tools?"

Is this similar to the graphical mode of Antares AutoTune or something completely different?

Thanks.

Clazymike

I'm not sure what you mean by "tuned tracks" but redrawing a wave file is to me to go in and draw maybe a click or the similar away - as far as I remember ( haven't used pro tools for the last year ) you can't undo that, you're processing directly on the file - be carefull ;)
bizz

Some people claim to do their vocal tuning in Pro Tools by actually redrawing the waveforms with the Pencil tool. There are maybe 2 people in LA who are so good at this that they get a large portion of the majors' vocal tuning work (or so the legend goes). I myself am skeptical that this can be done, having worked at Digidesign and with Pro Tools extensively. It's fairly simple to adjust the amplitude of a wave (vertically) in Pro Tools, to correct a clip for example, but you would have to be extremely sharp with math, and have a lot of time, to adjust the actual wavelengths (horizontally) and come out with a result that is correct. I suspect that what they really do is tune on a note-by-note, word-by-word, or phrase-by-phrase basis with a manual pitch correction plugin such as the one included with Pro Tools.

As charger assumed, correctly, it is not possible to tune by re-drawing waveforms.
What some people are very good at is tuning - on a note by note basis, which involves some pretty precise editing and crossfades.

I do think the missconception comes from drawing the fades precisely, and thats all.

Back