Recording, mixdown to analog source ::

you know...going back and thinking about blending in the analog source with the digital....that won't work either...even if using a Studer, MCI, Ampex, Otari...whatever....and even if striped for locking... Because the machine is going to waver just enough to cause phase cancellations and make it useless. Blending DIFFERENT tracks together (as in linking two analogs) isn't a problem...but only with certain limitations...like you'll never spread a drum kit over two machines...or any SAME source instrument/track, for that matter. A millisecond or so isn't going to matter much for having vocals sound out of time with the drums (on a different machine), but combine the same source back together, and that 'wavering' in and out of sync will give you your homemade flange machine..in an undesireable way...eh?? Even the best mechanical machines ...ala 'your Studer' will drift enough for this application too.

Yup... normally I'd agree with you.. but in this case you're not trying to sync, you're just monitoring thru the playback head playing back the source live, so it should be fine....

Blue Bear Sound said:
Actually... try this....etc. etc...

You can then mix some of the "analog" signal back into your mix as needed....

I thought the above was the final intentions. Of course, if you're just listening, WITHOUT combining...like for A/B comparisions, or whatever, you'll be just fine. Mixing the two back together AFTER bouncing...naw..

Well yes, but at the same time, he could take the cassette outputs and run them back to the computer and record them onto 2 separate tracks........

He would then be able to compare them directly and in sync to see which he preferred....

My guess is that he wouldn't like what the analog cassette deck did to his sound... any takers on that bet??? ;)

:D :D

Blue Bear Sound said:
Well yes, but at the same time, he could take the cassette outputs and run them back to the computer and record them onto 2 separate tracks........

He would then be able to compare them directly and in sync to see which he preferred....

My guess is that he wouldn't like what the analog cassette deck did to his sound... any takers on that bet??? ;)

:D :D

Paragraph one was already stated, and a given.

paragraph two is then the obvious and the only useful procedure out of this tripe.

Paragraph three is more than obvious....

Bruce...you're side stepping the point I was making, and your original intention. Admit it.....you fucked up and made a bad suggesstion. Just don't do it again;)

mixmkr said:
Bruce...you're side stepping the point I was making, and your original intention. Admit it.....you fucked up and made a bad suggesstion. Just don't do it again;)
;) I disagree... my original point was that he compare the two.......

Then I stretched it further to blending it, only as a possibility.........

My REAL point was that this whole mixdown-to-analog thing was bush to begin with - which I clearly indicated in my 2nd post on this thread!!! :p

Bruce

Back