Recommended Mastering Engineer

LI Slim

I want to recommend Arthur Winer at www.canaveralskies.com. He did a great job sprucing up my homerecorded project, turned it around in a few days, listens to what you say, and is very reasonably priced. He used to be a mastering engineer at Sony and is now on his own. You can tell him I sent you!

BTW-

I get nothing out of recommending him

I am telling him he should advertise on this site

No, I still haven't heard from Sjoko (and yes, I still am going to sue him).

Peace at home,

Larry

1. I'm glad you got a finished product you're happy with...

2. you must live under a rock if you don't know the "Sjoko stories."

3. The equipment list didn't really impress me that much...actually kind home reccor kinda stuff...but the credentials of a past Sony mastering engineer might carry some weight...or at least lead you to believe the dude has some ears.

4. The pricing seems inline with that equipment, etc.... I wouldn't expect to pay much more in that situation.

5. check out http://www.rodneymills.com for a kick ass list of equipment and a resume that tops even the equipment list....and a price structure that'll make you drop your jaw....

6. are you going to be able to post some samples in the clinic??

I went to the Rodney Mills site and killed it after watching the friggin white text on red background dancing "Loading" thing flash for 5 seconds. A simple progress bar would suffice. He may be an awesome mastering engineer, but he certainly has no taste in website design.

Larry....

I'm not taking sides, and I'm glad you finally got your stuff mastered, but I've been in touch with Sjoko since and according to him there's an entire segment of the story between you and him that you chose not to present when you posted your complaint on line....
Since Sjoko related that side to me, I can understand why you didn't mention it, because it showed that much of the responsibility for the long time-frame rested squarely on your shoulders...

I'm not trying to start a war, and I certainly have no beef with you at all, but I just don't like these one-sided threads that malign Sjoko that are only telling a part of the story.....!

Anyways... I'm only jumping in to present that my experience in dealing with Sjoko shows he's very reliable and trustworthy and he's assisted me a number of times.... as always, situations do arise, and not everyone will have the same experiences, but to continually thrash on him, especially when there are mitigating circumstances involved, isn't the right thing to do either.

Bruce

Hmmm...

I checked-out that site too... I agree with mixmkr... except for the Waves s/w the majority of that is strangely low-end... a Samson amp in a mastering studio????

Some of his clips sounded very overcompressed too... there was no mention of him being a Sony engineer in his bio -- kind of a strange thing to leave out!

:confused:

Last edited:
low budget...

-yeah, that equipment list is pretty weak

-basically his main component is that Ramsa (and the majority of that list are basically features built into it)

-also that "Kitchenaid" reference was pretty damn lame

-and i was expecting to see at least a crown or hafler as far as an amp goes

there is a place here in Texas that has done alot of mastering for various types of music and they do a good job (i've heard some of the cd's they mastered)

they can do a master for you for $490 for program material between 41-60 minutes.

Here is there equipment list:

Main system
Sonic Solutions SSHD High Density mastering system.
Secondary system
Sonic Solutions SSP 24-bit mastering system
Processing & related
TC Electronic S6000 48 bit digital mainframe with MD-3 and
MD-5.1 mastering software.
Manley Massive Passive tube EQ
TubeTech SMC-2B multi-band tube compressor.
Aphex Compellor compressor/leveler
Aphex Dominator II multi-band limiter
TC ADA96/24 96k, 24 bit AD/DA conver.
Mytek WS24/24. 96k, 24 bit AD/DA converter.
Roland R-880 Digital Signal Processor
Roland E-660 Digital Parametric EQ
HHB Bit Box CD optimizer and sample rate converter.
Recorders
Ampex ATR-102 1/2" 2-track w/Dolby SR & A.
Tascam 42B 1/4" 2-track.
Tascam DA-60, DA-45HR and DA-30 DAT machines.
CD recorders by Plextor, Yamaha and Marantz.
Monitor System
Tannoy System 10DMT's with Sunfire True Subwoofer
Tannoy AVM's
JBL 4430's
Power by Hafler Trans-Nova and JBL
96k, 24 bit D/A converter.

Hmmmm

I gotta call that Rodney dude right now and try to get him some serious help for his web site sounds....holy...can you say "default flash sounds?" lol

All kidding aside. Since we're tossing around mastering dudes there's a guy in Vancouver, Canada I've used for over 8 years now. Bud Bremner at Coastal Mastering. He's a swell dude and does an incredible job using mostly analog. He's been asked by summit to help design a new stereo EQ. Cheers!

Sonic
Sonic Valley

Canaveral Skies Music

Hello people,

Thanks, Larry for the kind words. They mean a lot to me,
all the more since they come from such a talented songwriter
and musician. OK, now a response to some of the other posts...

I do not find it one bit surprising to see other studios
(basically competitors) dissin' my equipment. Equipment
snobbery and downright superstition are unfortunately
a major part of engineering. I suffer from them too, but
ultimately I'm going to use my own ears and judgment (NOT the least
common denominator of public opinion) to decide what
equipment to use.

That said, didn't anyone notice that I use
extremely high-end B&W speakers?

Hopefully, my credentials are beyond reproach.
Although I do not post this on my website's brief bio (it's not
a resume!), I worked for Sony Music Studios in New York
for almost two years. I DO, in fact, list some of the projects
I mastered and/or authored, and these clients include
James Taylor, Billy Joel, James Horner (TITANIC), and
many others, working for Columbia, Sony Classical, Epic, Legacy,
etc. Also, I hold a Master's degree in Music
Technology, and I have advanced or expert skills in
acoustics, music, digital audio, analog audio, and (to be honest,
to a much lesser degree) electronics.

Canaveral Skies Music is my attempt to offer major label
quality mastering to independent musicians and artists who can't afford
to pay thousands of dollars. It's a labor of love more than
a money-making operation -- I'm a TERRIBLE businessman.
But if you hire me, you get the same ears, the same expertise,
and (I daresay) the same or better results than you would
spending MUCH more money. I believe that my credentials,
integrity, ears, expertise, and results are more important
than whether or not I possess the latest Tubewonk 2000
(not that I wouldn't buy one if I won the lottery).

Best,
Arthur Winer
Mastering Engineer
Canaveral Skies Music

www.canaveralskies.com/mastering.htm

Last edited:
There is no way to judge any audio engineer without hearing their product. My friend recorded his own band in a $250,000 studio, and it sounded horrible. If you know what you're doing, you don't have to have the latest Tubewonk 2000. As for monitors, it's all what you're used to, right?

I say cheers to you Arthur, keep it up.

Gidge, I don't see how this is spam. Not unless LI Slim and Macartie have the same IP, which I doubt they do.

Darth

hey Darth, don't mind me....i have this fetish for the word spam and like to throw it around...i really dont think any of the 2 posts was spam.....LI SLim is an extremely cool guy (though Id like to hear the whole story) and his post was 100% legit....

on to Macartie....responding to posts about you?....i guess you just stumbled on this thread, huh.....cant your credentials speak for themself?.......

your post was nothing more than an ADVERTISEMENT to me, along with your contact info and a link to your website....

Moderator,

please move this thread to the shameless self promotion forum so he can keep Alan Hyatt company....

"Please note that commercial messages, advertisements, spam, chain letters, spam, pyramid schemes, spam, solicitations, spam, spam, spam, and spam are inappropriate material to post on this BBS. Posting links to your outside web pages, where the motivation is judged to be solely or largely to drive up your page views or for monetary interest, is also against the rules. Posting off-topic material (for instance, talking about sex in the Tascam forum) is both annoying and against the rules. Posting the same thing in multiple forums is also considered a no-no...please figure out where it belongs first. "

that post could be considered a "commercial message" and an "advertisement"....

what the world....needs now.....is spam....sweet spam.....not just for me....but for everyone......

come on everyone sing.....

Gidge,

Larry, a client of mine, told me that he was planning to
post something about me here. So, no, I did not just
stumble upon this thread. But when I got here, there
were several posts questioning my credentials.
I think I am entirely within my rights to respond
to those posts. Which I did.

I'm not the head of some evil big corporation, and
I'm not a shameless self-promoter. I really do not
understand why you are so upset by my post.
I would apologize, but I'm at a loss to understand
what I should be apologizing for. For defending myself
and my really small business from being misrepresented?

Arthur

Gidge said:
"Please note that commercial messages, advertisements, spam, chain letters, spam, pyramid schemes, spam, solicitations, spam, spam, spam, and spam are inappropriate material to post on this BBS. Posting links to your outside web pages, where the motivation is judged to be solely or largely to drive up your page views or for monetary interest, is also against the rules. Posting off-topic material (for instance, talking about sex in the Tascam forum) is both annoying and against the rules. Posting the same thing in multiple forums is also considered a no-no...please figure out where it belongs first. "

that post could be considered a "commercial message" and an "advertisement"....

what the world....needs now.....is spam....sweet spam.....not just for me....but for everyone......

come on everyone sing.....

SPAM

We can all read and think on our own here, Gidge. But fight the good fight.

artie,

im not upset....i just dont have anything better to do with my time since i swore off masturbation......

I say give Macartie a break. If I saw posts about me that were inaccurate, I'd damn well want the right to refute or clarify them myself. So, one time, I say let it go. Macartie comes around again dropping the same information out of the blue, then its a different story.

By the way, I happened to like what he had to say about equipment and his purpose--as well as his credentials. It gave me more insight into the art of mastering--namely, the importance of good, trained ears. Since mastering is a subtle art to begin with, I think that being able to hear the fine nuances would be incredibly valuable and important. You know, we could all learn from a guy like this if we didn't throw up on him the minute he walked in. My experience with mastering information is this: everybody who does it talks about it but seems to leave the real technical secrets out of their explanations. Like we're supposed to just think its some complicated voodoo and impossible to even consider learning. Not to mention too expensive.

Personally, there's a million questions I'd like to ask a guy like Macartie. I got to take a full tour of Georgetown Masters in Nashville once. It was quite impressive. I learned a bit of what equipment is used but nothing about the how to stuff.

Back