Re: Johnny Amato - My thoughts on Slate Plugins

jkuehlin

Re: Johnny Amato - My thoughts on Slate Plugins

I stated this before and I'll say it again. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Steven Slate and what he's doing to make quality music recording tools available to everybody. I will never join in with the other haters and say that nothing he makes is any good, because I feel quite the opposite is true. That anyone who knows what they're doing should be able to turn over an acceptable product with that Everything Bundle if given enough time to adapt to the way they sound and function.

Yea it [Slate API EQ] just came out last week, finally downloaded it a few days ago (I have the Everything Bundle). It's pretty nice, different flavor from the other three.

So I did get a chance to fiddle around with it for a bit. I went in and noodled around with the API on the Slate VCC for a while and decided I didn't like it. So what I ended up doing was Vision channel strip infront of the VMR and toggling the EQ modules in and out to compare them. I realize that the API lunchbox EQ modules are very popular. You don't need a UAD preamp infront of everything so I did this for my own familiarity as much as anything else. Sort of like how when Chris Lord Alge was asked to mix a track entirely with Slate plugs, he loaded down his entire session with SSL E saturation at the top of every channel.

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 4.02.01 PM.png

I struggled a little with how different the Slate one sounds. There were a few familiar characteristics. You could tell they were trying. But the Waves is definitely more similar to the UAD one than the Slate is to either. I think its somewhat irrelevant at this point which one is closest to the hardware. What matters is if they captured what makes an API one of most stunning amazing EQ's that has been engineered to date.

Bottom line - I like the EQ as an EQ, but it doesn't act like an API in my opinion. Some of the ratios between curve, boost/cut, and interpolation of the Qs were there. Some were way off. If I had to use this plugin, I would probably just figure out which band widths I needed to avoid on the Slate. But the problem is that certain bandwidths on the same fucking dial worked better than others. So the cuts and boosts to 1.5 were good until you exceeded 4db. But as soon as you went one notch higher to a 6db boost, it sounded NOTHING like an API lol. I had the same problem with cutting at 12.5 and I expected the 100hz boost to act WAY different than it did.

I tend to use the 4000 G Series in the Bus Collection more than the others for some reason.
If its the only bus compressor you have, I'm sure it'll work. I'll take the Waves or UAD for a G emulator. However, I think his Red 2 compressor is one of the best emulators he's ever made. I like it MUCH better than Focusrites own Red 2 emulator. Its one of the few Slate plugins I still use.

Slightly off-topic, but how do you feel about his 1176's compared to the CLA's? I mix it up and use both.
Ok...so like many others in the UAD community, I already own the Waves ones and they are my go-to when I run out of processing power on the UAD side. I could do without any of those 1176's. I think they're THE WORST emulators in his entire library. I think the attack and release behavior is horrifically out of whack, and fact you can't go all-buttons in ridiculous. You rely on the metering quite a bit when dialing things in, and I've found the meters completely unreliable too. Even though your ears trump your eyes, if you're meters are going haywire on your typical 4:1 medium attack fast release, it'll always cause you to freeze for a sec and have to re-think if the GUI visual feedback matches your what you're hearing. I found them really distracting.

His Virtual Tube Collection is sick (London, Hollywood, New York) You ever use those?
Yes. I do. And part of the reason is that any unique tube saturation is hard to find. On these, I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter if it sounds anything what it was modeled from. Its different than the API because you reach for an API when you want an API. With these VTC units I find them good for a lot of real aggressive mangling. They're just really vibey and different sounding in a good way.

I haven't made the UAD plunge yet. I've been eyeing the Apollo 8, but I'm still on Windows 7, and I think you need Windows 10 for it. And instead up upgrading my current PC with Windows 10, I'd rather just get a new computer, even though the one I'm on now is still relatively new.

If you take the UAD plunge, I'll give you some pointers. Make sure you buy all MK2 revisions. They're night and day better than the legacy models. You're not really hearing UAD at its best unless you get the recent plugins. Some of their old ones aren't any better than the Waves stuff. Try to save as much cash as you can and buy a used bundle. Mine was $6000 used and it took me another $3500 in additional plugins to really get set up with a plugin library I was happy with. But check back in later for the must-have's. When you get really close to buying, I'll be happy to take a look at the sellers plugin list and give you my thoughts on it.

I do all my subtractive eq with the EQ3 in ProTools, and boosts with all the Slate stuff.

In a nutshell, the only reason I'm not using Slate stuff more is because I have other things I got used to. Apart from those 1176's which I hate, there's really nothing in there I'd be opposed to using. Some highlights - I like his Bricasti emulator. Again, I never use it because I have the Liquid Sonics version that acts more like a real one. But Slates is good. I like his Eiosis de-esser, and again I think his Red 2 is the best one out there. I also like his distressor. I'm distressor fanatic. I have every serious distressor clone that anyone's ever made, and I think his is nearly as usable as UAD's. I think he did and excellent job with the delay plugin, and if I didn't have all of the UAD and Waves tape emulators, I'd gladly use his as well.

I don't know a soul on earth who would rather use the Slate Everything vs the UAD everything, but I know a hell of a lot of people that don't want to pay $10,000 for the UAD plugin library. However, for everyone else, I honestly believe that Slate bundle for $15/mo is one of the best bang-for-the-buck values you could possibly buy. If I was a broke kid who just graduated Full Sail with a music production degree, the first thing I would buy is the Slate Everything bundle, the Waves CLA compressors, and Melodyne light. I'd take out a $500 loan for a pair of used Yamaha HS5's, a Focusrite Scarlet Solo, a Rode NT1 and be off to the races!!!

I stated this before and I'll say it again. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Steven Slate and what he's doing to make quality music recording tools available to everybody. I will never join in with the other haters and say that nothing he makes is any good...

I don't ever hate on Steven Slate, and I have a couple of his plugs, plus his Trigger drum app...though I really don't use them or it all that much, because I have other stuff that I just like better.
Slate makes good stuff...but the one thing I don't like are his WAY cheesy sales pitch videos!!! :laughings:
I also don't care for that Raven thing...but then, I always felt that touchscreens are stupid in general...they just seem cool initially, but having to reach/hold your hand out all day long to work the screen is a major ergo-no-no...not to mention that you end up with greasy fingerprints all over the screen all the time...not to mention if more than one person is working it, you get all their gunk on your hands....yuck.
Plush, I don't care for the look of the whole Raven console...way too Star-Treky for me....kinda cold-n-sterile looking.
Otherwise, Slate makes good stuff, and for awhile people were drooling over it...but I see that the last few years the love affair has worn off. :p

Anyway.. [MENTION=187056]JohnnyAmato[/MENTION]...check out Plugin Alliance. They also offer a subscription service (not something I care for, I prefer to buy my plugs)...and the PA plugin offerings are top-line stuff. They also have regular sales, and when you have an account, you get monthly vouchers bases on your purchasing history.
The holiday period has the best/most PA sales when most of the plugs are all on sale.

Call me crazy but I like the cheap $29 Waves more than Slate stuff. UAD is nice but they're the Apple of plugins with that model, so I'll never support them.

In a nutshell, the only reason I'm not using Slate stuff more is because I have other things I got used to. Apart from those 1176's which I hate, there's really nothing in there I'd be opposed to using. Some highlights - I like his Bricasti emulator. Again, I never use it because I have the Liquid Sonics version that acts more like a real one. But Slates is good. I like his Eiosis de-esser, and again I think his Red 2 is the best one out there. I also like his distressor. I'm distressor fanatic. I have every serious distressor clone that anyone's ever made, and I think his is nearly as usable as UAD's. I think he did and excellent job with the delay plugin, and if I didn't have all of the UAD and Waves tape emulators, I'd gladly use his as well.

I don't know a soul on earth who would rather use the Slate Everything vs the UAD everything, but I know a hell of a lot of people that don't want to pay $10,000 for the UAD plugin library. However, for everyone else, I honestly believe that Slate bundle for $15/mo is one of the best bang-for-the-buck values you could possibly buy. If I was a broke kid who just graduated Full Sail with a music production degree, the first thing I would buy is the Slate Everything bundle, the Waves CLA compressors, and Melodyne light. I'd take out a $500 loan for a pair of used Yamaha HS5's, a Focusrite Scarlet Solo, a Rode NT1 and be off to the races!!!

Yea the meters on his 1176s are terrible. It forces me to use my ears though, but I still use the CLA's more. Although I use his FG-401 quite a bit. And yea, the FG-Stress is fantastic.

I like the Waves dbx160 quite a bit on drum buses, and sometimes snares. I use the FG-401 a lot on snares and kicks too. And believe it or not, I still use the V-Comp a lot on rooms, I just like how it sounds.

But my go-to bass strip is EQ3 (just hi-pass) -> VTM -> FG-73 -> VCC -> New York (VTC) -> FG-N -> FG-Stress -> CLA-2A -> MV2. Then I usually parallel compress it as well.

My vocal chain is different every song, but my main vocal mic is the Slate VMS, it's incredible.

Acoustics are different every song as well, I try everything, and it depends on the part/role the acoustic is playing. I've been using the CLA-3A a lot lately. (With an 1176 first if it's a really spikey part)

When I mentioned the Bus Collection, I actually meant the Console Collection; I usually gravitate towards the 4K-G here. Although I'm starting to dig the E.

But I do use the FG-Grey most of the time on the Submix (2-buss). The FG-Red is killer too, but I've used the FG-MU on a few mixes as well. It's really bright, sometimes I'll have it on the 2-buss not even compressing, just to add it's vibe and color, alongside the Grey.

His Repeater Delay is great; problem is, on more than one occasion, I'll open up a session that has it somewhere, and it reset back to default settings! Wtf? It's happened a few times, to where I'm afraid to even dial something in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't ever hate on Steven Slate, and I have a couple of his plugs, plus his Trigger drum app...though I really don't use them or it all that much, because I have other stuff that I just like better.
Slate makes good stuff...but the one thing I don't like are his WAY cheesy sales pitch videos!!! :laughings:
I also don't care for that Raven thing...but then, I always felt that touchscreens are stupid in general...they just seem cool initially, but having to reach/hold your hand out all day long to work the screen is a major ergo-no-no...not to mention that you end up with greasy fingerprints all over the screen all the time...not to mention if more than one person is working it, you get all their gunk on your hands....yuck.
Plush, I don't care for the look of the whole Raven console...way too Star-Treky for me....kinda cold-n-sterile looking.
Otherwise, Slate makes good stuff, and for awhile people were drooling over it...but I see that the last few years the love affair has worn off. :p

Anyway.. [MENTION=187056]JohnnyAmato[/MENTION]...check out Plugin Alliance. They also offer a subscription service (not something I care for, I prefer to buy my plugs)...and the PA plugin offerings are top-line stuff. They also have regular sales, and when you have an account, you get monthly vouchers bases on your purchasing history.
The holiday period has the best/most PA sales when most of the plugs are all on sale.

I've thought about it, their SSL Channel Strips look killer.

Call me crazy but I like the cheap $29 Waves more than Slate stuff. UAD is nice but they're the Apple of plugins with that model, so I'll never support them.

I have plenty of them as well; all three CLA's, the dbx160, the V-Comp, MV2, Parallel Particles, Scheps-73, L2... they're all great.

The Scheps Parallel Particles I absolutely love on kicks, snares, and toms. I'm tempted to start trying it on bass, but I like the chain I already have.

$15 per month is actually a terrible deal. In finance, monthly subscriptions are well-known to be the worst purchase/investment (this is why businesses try to push them...netflix, magazines, etc. It's perpetual, reliable revenue). Think about it. That's $180 per year. After ten years that's $1800 for plugins that you're basically renting and don't own. After 20 years that's $3600 (assuming no price increases, which there would likely be). It's terrible. It's best to buy something for a low price and own it than lease/rent. Almost always. There are a few exceptions, but plugins wouldn't fall in that category.

I purchased the Waves plugins on sale for $29, then had coupons that got them to $21 each. That is a much better buy. For life I now one the 10 waves plugins I want. Sure I spent $210, but that is for life, so it is much better than $180 per year.

Research how bad recurring subscriptions are. You'll be floored at how quickly seemingly small fees add up.

Last edited:
$15 per month is actually a terrible deal. In finance, monthly subscriptions are well-known to be the worst purchase/investment. Think about it. That's $180 per year. After ten years that's $1800 for plugins that you're basically renting and don't own. After 20 years that's $3600 (assuming no price increases, which there would likely be). It's terrible. It's best to buy something for a low price and own it than lease/rent. Almost always. There are a few exceptions, but plugins wouldn't fall in that category.

I purchased the Waves plugins on sale for $29, then had coupons that got them to $21 each. That is a much better buy. For life I now one the 10 waves plugins I want. Sure I spent $210, but that is for life, so it is much better than $180 per year.

Research how bad recurring subscriptions are. You'll be floored at how quickly seemingly small fees add up.

I don't disagree. If I could afford the whole suite, I would just buy it. But total it would be close to $4 grand, I think. At least the subscription deal gets me them now. Every 12 months Slate does give subscription holders a $100 voucher to use for Slate stuff, but owning some of his stuff (that comes with the subscription anyway) doesn't lower the subscription price any.

And hell, if I'm still on his subscription after 20 years he should give me the suite by then lol.

I don't disagree. If I could afford the whole suite, I would just buy it. But total it would be close to $4 grand, I think. At least the subscription deal gets me them now. Every 12 months Slate does give subscription holders a $100 voucher to use for Slate stuff, but owning some of his stuff (that comes with the subscription anyway) doesn't lower the subscription price any.

And hell, if I'm still on his subscription after 20 years he should give me the suite by then lol.

Haha.

Why not just use a different suit that's not monthly, though? If Slate is superior to other things, it's not that much superior. People get great mixes with stock plugins. All that money could go to more important things, like more strats!

$15 per month is actually a terrible deal. In finance, monthly subscriptions are well-known to be the worst purchase/investment (this is why businesses try to push them...netflix, magazines, etc. It's perpetual, reliable revenue). Think about it. That's $180 per year. After ten years that's $1800 for plugins that you're basically renting and don't own. After 20 years that's $3600 (assuming no price increases, which there would likely be). It's terrible. It's best to buy something for a low price and own it than lease/rent. Almost always. There are a few exceptions, but plugins wouldn't fall in that category.

:thumbs up:

Yup...couldn't agree more. I find the whole subscription thing fascinating in that people think they are getting a deal. :p
The one time I might suggest going for it (assuming someone had no real plugin collection) would when starting out and not being sure what they wanted or liked.
Rent one of the "Everything" subs from a vendor, try them out for a month or two...then do the same with another...and kinda sort out what you really want/need/like...and then go buy it, catch it on sale.
That said..."most" vendors now will let you "full demo" for a week or two any of their plugs...so you can pretty much do the try-before-buy without even bothering with the subscription approach, unless you like wanted to take your time for a couple of months and actually use the plugs for projects, etc.

I was lucky that I dove into my plugin buying madness before the subscription option took hold with many vendors.
For a few years in the past I would binge-buy when they had big sales...so I accumulated a lot of plugs, for cheap, fast. :)
Now I absolutely have no need or interest to ever even try a subscription with any plugin vendor...I pretty much have everything I could need...and I'll just buy the occasional new plug if it's really interesting enough.

I agree with both of you strongly. And I'm confident enough that I could mix well with stock plugins, plus the 10 or so Waves plugins I own. But I just couldn't pass the Slate deal up after looking into it maybe 10 months ago. I would surely miss it if I let it go. I've thought of just buying the ones I consistently use, but it's a lot of them. So for now, Slate's got me.

I look at it this way. It's a small price to pay to have all those tools at my disposal. Kind of like renting a studio, or paying thousands to record at a live studio. When you're done, you don't own the room either. But you used great tools to make a record, and again, when you go home, you don't take those tools with you, you just take your record.

Kind of a weird way to look at it, sure, but it works for me.

Nola, I'd look at the metrics differently. The Slate bundle was priced the way it is so that home studio users and hobbyists could afford it. The point is so that everyone can have it. So its like a mortgage, monthly housing rent, or a car payment. Its ideal to own it, but most people can't. And one of the things I MOST respect about Steven is he says "I'm not ok with that". And something along the lines of "what about the kid in his bedroom who's making his first recording....he should be able to experience participate in the process of making music".

The other thing you may wish to consider is that if a hobbyist happens to be on trajectory to turn semi-pro (which means they're making some money off of it but not a full time living), then the monthly investment in the plugin lease gets offset by their supplemental income. A hobbyist attempting to turn pro may be wise to not stick himself with a more expensive flagship bundle as they're building their company, and knowing that they can upgrade later. Slate has the lowest lease price on that collection of plugins I know of. He's truly the king of bang-for-the-buck.

Why can't he lower the price of the plugins if he wants everyone to be able to afford and use them?
That should result in more sales -- people buy things that are cheap not things that are expensive, so lowering the price is the move if he truly feels that way.

Why can't he lower the price of the plugins if he wants everyone to be able to afford and use them?
That should result in more sales -- people buy things that are cheap not things that are expensive, so lowering the price is the move if he truly feels that way.

Because thats how metrics work the real world. His goal is affordability which he's achieving. Affordability is the capacity TO pay for something, not the cumulative dollar amount you pay FOR it. This is the same reason mortgages and interest have been around for thousands of years. Everyone being able to 'afford' a house is not the same as everyone being able to buy one free and clear for pennies on the dollar. The latter isn't the goal or even a concern here. The two aren't the same thing.

Yes, JK, but you would. You view everything through the prism of someone who is able (for example) to get up one morning and buy Izotope RX6.
A lot of us can't.

It is NOT like a car payment or a mortgage. Even if they take years, at the end, you finish paying and OWN the goods. On a subs model, you pay and pay and pay and NEVER own the goods.

But John, the there are many people who rent an apartment because they can't buy a condo. This is perfectly normal and acceptable (though perhaps not ideal)...is it not? I was mainly looking at it from Slates perspective.

But John, the there are many people who rent an apartment because they can't buy a condo. This is perfectly normal and acceptable (though perhaps not ideal)...is it not? I was mainly looking at it from Slates perspective.

Good point Jonathon. I am one of those, but I have no choice. But it isn't like a mortage (where you get to own the house) or car paymnent (where you get to own the car).
I think they might consider a cut-off point.

Certainly, from a commercial perspective, it's the way to go.

It is NOT like a car payment or a mortgage. Even if they take years, at the end, you finish paying and OWN the goods. On a subs model, you pay and pay and pay and NEVER own the goods.

Correct, that's why the industry loves subscriptions and monthly recurring payments. The music industry basically borrowed from the shaddy magazine industry. Then they whine and wonder why their stuff is pirated all over the internet. Well, because it is priced wrong or they don't want to let people own it.

I tried to purchase the 808 VST from Roland, and they wouldn't let me buy it. They said I had to subscribe to their cloud for 1 year, and at the end of that I could pick own plugin to own. I said I just want to buy the 808 today and had no interest in the other stuff for a year. They said no. That is flat out twisted.

Slate sounds like he's found a way to market subscriptions by pretending he's this good guy trying to make them affordable. Affordable to rent, impossible to own. So that's not a good guy, IMO. A clever guy, sure. If he wants them affordable he drops the price. This is only software after all. After a certain point it has paid R&D off and made the huge profit to continue building more software. Lower price could (should) even result in more volume and higher revenue. The real reason it is in the cloud is to guarantee Slate monthly revenue and also to try to control piracy.

Back