Raw vocal for comments

earlwgreen

Hi guys.

I'd like to get some comments on this vocal. I've been working at getting a descent vocal sound and want some input. I'm working on a simple project for mainly church folk. They've been on me for over 2 years to do a CD for them. So, I must do this by the end of April.

1. My room is 10'X10'X8' so I know I need more acoustic treatments, but this is it for the now. I will be able to add more after August.

2. My vocal chain is: TB1 - JoeMeek threeQ - EMU 1212m - Sonar Pro

3. This vocal has no eq, fx, comp and I'm singing about 5-7 inches from the mic. I did one earlier about 12-14 inches from mic but there was soooo much room noise.

Here's where to listen: http://www.nowhereradio.com/earlgreen/singles

The first clip is the old vocal.
The second clip is the new vocal.

I'd really appreciate any comments except......get different equipment! :D , or learn to sing better :D . I'm really stuck with this setup for this project and well....my voice is my voice.

Thanks!

i'd definately treat your room. you can hear a lot of boxiness in the lower mids and lows that i can only imagine would get worse with compression. for the vox, i'd find maybe just a larger closet and at least throw VERY heavy blankets up. but really...even going to guitar center and buying a few peices of the 2x4 auralex stuff for $20 a shot, in a small closet, would make a much bigger improvement than pretty much any peice of gear you can get. you'll never get that up front tight vocal sound without a great room.

Thanks zzfdvz for the input. Our house has long shallow closets, no walk-ins big enough so I'll have to try and get some more blankets up!

I'm amazed that people can record anything now days without acoustic treatment. 20 years back, they just used their garages and basements to do some pretty good things. I guess people's ears have gotten more trained.

Thanks again for the comments.

Back