Random Volume Jump

andrushkiwt

About five seconds into a track of mine, there's a quiet "pop" then the entire track jumps in volume by about 6db. After 5 seconds, it "pops" and goes back down. This is only after I send it into the "mastering suite"...it doesn't do it in the mix session. In the suite, I have disabled all processing and effects, and it still occurs. In the mix, however, it does not. Wtf.

It would appear there is some weird automation accidentally turned on, but nope...no automation tracks. Here's where it gets stranger...

I first noticed this 3 days ago on the same "master" while listening at work. When I got home, I sat down and actually forgot about it because it wasn't appearing in the mix itself. I did my thing, bounced it to the master, did more stuff, and bounced the file out. All was good. Nothing weird that time. Tonight, I did the same. This time, the master is again doing it. Same spot. So, I again disable all processing on the master insert section and it still does it. Back in the mix, perfectly fine.

Is it some bug/error in the process of converting the file into a wav for the mastering suite?

Studio One 2 Pro. I'll check my bounce settings and see what's going on there.

Might as well ask here, while I have a post open. 44.1 or 48? "Process precision"- 32 or 64 bit? My laptop is 64 bit, so that may be obvious, but it's set to 32 and has been this whole time apparently. Hey, 9ms latency...not bad!

PROBLEM: No idea. Interesting bug.

SAMPLE RATE: Whatever you're working in. If the goal is audio-for-audio, 44.1kHz. If audio for video, 48kHz.

BIT DEPTH: As if 24 weren't beyond any sort of human perception, 32 bit is many times more than enough.

PROBLEM: No idea. Interesting bug.

SAMPLE RATE: Whatever you're working in. If the goal is audio-for-audio, 44.1kHz. If audio for video, 48kHz.

BIT DEPTH: As if 24 weren't beyond any sort of human perception, 32 bit is many times more than enough.

hey thanks. So it sorted itself out again. Weird. I just bounced the project file another time and the master track was fine after that. Some error in the conversion somewhere - really odd. Good to know about my settings, I don't know much about those, so thanks good to know I'm set there.

if I had this and there was no other option, I'd simply isolate the loud part and turn it down, or isolate the quiet parts and turn them up, using wavelab with editing.

if I had this and there was no other option, I'd simply isolate the loud part and turn it down, or isolate the quiet parts and turn them up, using wavelab with editing.

There isn't a way to do that - as I wrote above, the problem is not in the mix. I cannot "isolate" anything in the mix because it is the entire track, yet the mix plays perfectly.

Update: it must have been a conversion error. Bouncing the file out a fourth time fixed it. No issues with the wav the last time. thnx

Back