ramsa WR-T820 - good for a first mixing console?

dix0r

while i'm very still new to recording, i want to get something that i won't outgrow and have to replace any time soon, as i'm pretty sure that this is something i'll want to continue to do for quite some time. i think i want my first gear purchase to be a mixing console, and it seems like this one has everything i would need...

is there any reason for me to not get it? is there anything else of approximately the same cost that would be better for me? would having RCA outs be a problem? and finally, whats the difference between the WR-T820 and WR-T820b?

i can't think of any more questions...for now ;]

oh and in case it matters:

i don't have any other gear yet, but i'm not too concerned with the board's pres, as i assume i'll have to buy outboard ones later either way. at this point it looks like i'm going to be recording to a PC.

i can't think of anything else that would matter. if i left anything out that would help, let me know please :]

The B model has inproved faders. the layout is different and they modified the master section to allow more aux inputs. I have a B model. B models are a little better. Its more than enough of a mixer. The pre's were a Japanese what at a Neve copy before it was en vogue to do so. The quality of these mixers is far above anything near its class. The RCA jacks come in both -10 and +4 so you can match pro and prosumer level equipment to it. Very nice layout, lots of space.

IMO, its a great buy.

SoMm

We've got a WR-T820, but unclear on if it is a B model or not. How do I tell?

We've been using it successfully for recording to an Alesis ADAT machine. Sound quality is excellent and very flexible.

That said, we are looking to trade it, or sell outight, to purchase a Mackie 1604VLZ-Pro (or similar) mixer.

Reason: we are now recording with a pair of Aardvark Q10 in a DAW, and need a mixer only for live PA support. Due to size and weight, the RAMSA is not suitable for this, so it must go.

If it was B model then it would have a B after the WR-T820 model number on the upper right hand side panel that covers the PSU.
The only diiference is the faders and how some of the AUX's are labeled on the back panel. The non-B model says phono out, where the B models say aux out.

How much are you selling it for?

SoMm

We're still feeling out the market for a fair price. It belongs to my partner and the selling price is not yet determined.

We need a live performance mixer with capabilities like the Mackie 1604VLZ-Pro. He is open to trades for similar value.

Need WR-T820 Owners Manuel

Son of Mixerman said:
The B model has inproved faders. the layout is different and they modified the master section to allow more aux inputs. I have a B model. B models are a little better. Its more than enough of a mixer. The pre's were a Japanese what at a Neve copy before it was en vogue to do so. The quality of these mixers is far above anything near its class. The RCA jacks come in both -10 and +4 so you can match pro and prosumer level equipment to it. Very nice layout, lots of space.

IMO, its a great buy.

SoMm

Need WR-T820 Owners Manuel any suggestion on how to get one?

Owner's Manual for Wr-T820B

You can get the manual directly from Panasonic. They have the owner's manual and service manual for this mixer. I paid $21 for my service manual. This is a great board IMHO. The quality of the pre's is excellent, the faders are great, and it is just a great sounding desk for the money. To order a manual on-line from Panasonic, go to: Panasonic Parts Search . You can search for your model mixer, and the service manual is listed in the parts list. Then, you can order it on-line.

Cheers,
Zach

If you can get yourself into any of the modular Ramsa boards, the sound quality really improves. However, even the smaller ones still sound good. The larger modular ones especially though have surprisingly nice preamps, and decent EQ's.

Back