Raising Output Levels from DAW

bee-free

Hey Recording Pros, an old school question for you...I need to bump up my output levels from my Akai DPS16 DAW to properly load my compressor ( ART TCS twin compressor ) and my final 31 band EQ ( DBX 2231 ). Right now the units are very noisy cuz I have to crank them up so far to capture the minimal signal coming out of the recorder output ( stereo RCA outs ). Is there a way to crank up this output to properly load the compressor and EQ or am I stuck using the internal mastering tools of the Akai DPS16 ? Thanks so much and sorry if this seems like an ignorant question. Jimmy

If you have the ability to 'normalize' your tracks in your DAW, that is the place to start. This brings the level of the source track up so that the amplifiers which follow in the signal chain don't have to be overdriven. Also make sure you are tracking at a good level to begin with.

If you have the ability to 'normalize' your tracks in your DAW, that is the place to start. This brings the level of the source track up so that the amplifiers which follow in the signal chain don't have to be overdriven. Also make sure you are tracking at a good level to begin with.
The problem is that his standalone DAW (not a computer) outputs at the lower "consumer" level (-10dBu). This has nothing to do with the signal levels inside his DAW, which being 24bit should be fine with lower level signals w/o having any noise issues.

While it's appreciated that you're trying to help, please stop repeating worn out internet "wisdoms" ;)

Duh! Don't know what I was thinking. Sorry for being an idiot! I have noticed that gain staging errors are fairly common amongst my home recording buds and my mind immediately went down that road. Thanks for pointing out my faux pas.

Back