Which is quieter? Mackie VLZ or Mackie CFX?

Scenario2G

Ok im in the process of replacing this Berhinger mixer (WOOO HOOO!!!!!) and i want to get a mackie with like 12 or 14 channels. I am going to be using this mixer to input my mic, keyboards, sound modules, radio etc.. and then go into my 1/4' sound card. When i record vocals, between the Mackie VLZ or MackieCFx, which one will I get cleaner, quieter vocals out of? I never touched a mackie board before thats why I was asking..Im very much interested in that MackieCFX12....So let me know people....It will be greatly appreciated.

as far as I know, the CFX boards are more of a live board. They have some effects built in to throw in a live mix in a pinch. Probably not really good for recording. If I were you, I'd get the VLZ model. I do believe they have the better mic preamps.

Good luck,
Mike

Mackie

Scenario2G
I've got a 1402VLZ, and a 3208. Pre amps are crystal clear.Even a 1202 would do for what you've got going on.
Pick em' up on ebay for a couple of hundred every day.

Gidman

Scenario,

1/4' sound card you say?
Well, I think that kinda defeats the purpose. Use the quietest mixer in the world, but once the signal goes through a consumer sound card, it's noise level and dynamic range are severely degraded.

If I were you I'd stick with your Behringer, but got a nice sound card. Then, I'd put your mixer BEHIND the sound card (to mix from the outputs of the card, not to the inputs). And record your stuff not through the mixer, but through an external preamp. The quality of your recording would be *much much* better, and your Behringer wouldn't mess it up cause it would now be on the monitoring side.

Then, you could use the Behringer to aid you during monitoring, which is pretty much what an analog mixer is used for on a DAW. That is exactly what I do with my Behringer and my Darla 24 and it works very well.

Having your mixer's stereo out go into your sound card isn't generally of much use (unless you want to record the whole band at once and dare to mix all your recordings on the fly ;-).

To sum it up, you've got...

A new Behringer mixer for $500, no improved sound quality cause of your 1/4' sound card input and no improved flexibility

OR

A new nice sound card for $300 and a tube preamp for $100, with much improved dynamic range, much lower noise, and an incredibly wider array of flexibility due to your mixer being on the monitoring side.

Peace

DIMMI....u send ur sound from ur mixer to the pre amp and then to the sound card? the tube pre amp is known to warm up the sound or something?

No, I dont send my signal through a mixer.
The point is NOT to have the mixer in the recording chain (because it degrades signal).
I send it from the instrument to the preamp to the sound card.

Right on, Dimmi!!!!

I could not agree more!
The point is to get the signal from the source to the soundcard with as few devices in between as possible.
At a low/ mid price range, any extra devices you stick in there (EQ's, Compressors, Sonic Maximizers, mixers, reverbs, etc, etc, etc) are going to do nothing but diminish the intergrity of the original signal.
Get the signal into the computer as quickly as possible, and then leave it there.
I know big mixers look really cool, but from a price/results standpoint, Dimmi's suggestion is a good one.
Aaron
http://www.aaroncheney.com

Back