question about the pan law

jjitter

Hello everyone, just wanted to know what pan law you guys are using for mixing. Is there a preferred pan law for music mixing? I admit of having a less than suitable environment to make out pans and levels precisely and can depend on meters only so much. (heavily rely on headphones)
From what I understood when using the 3db pan law - from center to hard left or right, there is a 3db gain. So the faders need to be adjusted according to the pan again right? Or should I use some other pan law?

Thanks!

I use Reaper for recording, and I use its default pan law. I've never been interested in what the actual algorithm is.

The best tool you have is the one you are suing, i.e your ears.

Hello everyone, just wanted to know what pan law you guys are using for mixing. Is there a preferred pan law for music mixing? I admit of having a less than suitable environment to make out pans and levels precisely and can depend on meters only so much. (heavily rely on headphones)
From what I understood when using the 3db pan law - from center to hard left or right, there is a 3db gain. So the faders need to be adjusted according to the pan again right? Or should I use some other pan law?

Thanks!

Are you using a DAW? They all have a built-in "pan law" so there's no need for adjustment. On the other hand, if you are using an analog board, you may need to make allowance for this - use your ears.

Most decent DAWs nowadays allow you to change the pan law one way or another.

I also use Reaper, and I always use 0db pan law.

Part of the reason is this thing the OP said: "From what I understood when using the 3db pan law - from center to hard left or right, there is a 3db gain. So the faders need to be adjusted according to the pan again right?"

Theoretically, if the pan law is right for your room, you won't have to adjust gain after panning, that's kind of the whole point. OTOH, whatever pan law you use, if you pan it to one side and it's suddenly not loud enough or too loud, you're going to adjust the volume instinctively anyway. Some people like that the pan knob does some of that for them, but I'm fine with just adjusting by ear.

More important to me is that pan laws stack. If you have a source that peaks at 0db on a track with -3db pan law, and leave the pan pot at center, the output from that track will peak at -3db. If you then route that through a "bus" track with the same pan law and leave that centered, it will come out peaking at -6. I personally just can't have that.

For the most part, the only time pan law is even close to important is if you've got things flying around via automation of the actual pan knob*. I very rarely do that, and luckily if I really feel it's necessary, Reaper allows pan law override on individual tracks.

*There's a video by one of the more popular Reaper tutorial guys where he tries to demonstrate pan law by adding an autopan VST to a track. It completely does not actually do what he's trying to show. If he was automating the pan knob itself, his description would be right on, but since the pan pot itself never moves, it's not really happening. I've asked him to fix it, but I don't know if he's gotten around to it.

Last edited:
... whatever pan law you use, if you pan it to one side and it's suddenly not loud enough or too loud, you're going to adjust the volume instinctively anyway.

Right.

The law is there to keep levels balanced as you pan L-R from center...and the 3dB pan law seems to be the one that does that for most folks and most situations.
That said...you will always adjust your faders to taste anyway, regardless of which pan law is used.

Back