question about mono and stereo tracks

jugalo180

www.moneyistherecipe.com
i'm trying to figure out if i have the correct understanding of mono and stereo fields.

1. what's the difference in panning a mono track 50% left, and panning a stereo track 50% left?

2. since i'm recording vocals into one condenser mic to a stereo track i understand that this is not true stereo, so should i benifit better out of recording two takes onto a mono track and panning them, vs. two false stereo tracks and panning them?

i hope this is clear.

A "stereo" track is comprised of two (2) mono tracks -- one for the left channel, and one for the right channel.
When a track is mono, it plays the same thing through the right and left speakers. If you pan a stereo track 50% left, the right track will be 50% softer, or the left track will be 50% louder -- however you want to think of it. :p
If you're recording a mono signal (i.e. your microphone), recording a stereo track in your software is the same as recording a mono track -- both the L and R channels are going to play the same signal. By recording a mono track, you'll probably save disk space if you're recording to a DAW. I can't speak for tape/analog machines as I have no idea how they work!

Anyway, I hope my explanations are clear, as I am a novice to this hobby as well.

-Justin

There isn't much sense recording a mono source to a stereo track or to two mono tracks, unless you are using a stereo prosessor on the tracks. A single, mono source, recorded to a stereo track or to two mono tracks, will sound the same as the mono source recorded to a mono track.

cool

makes a lot of sense to me now. so if i had two different mono vocal takes that were panned then bounced to one stereo track then that would be stereo. as long as it's two different signals playing on each channel. i have it now. thanks for the great explanations.

Re: cool

jugalo180 said:
makes a lot of sense to me now. so if i had two different mono vocal takes that were panned then bounced to one stereo track then that would be stereo. as long as it's two different signals playing on each channel. i have it now. thanks for the great explanations.

YEP

Thats its Jug.

For what your doing try 1 Main vox, 1 Adlib, and 1 Fill in type of vox track. Then Pan to taste but try not to move the main too far away from the center.

Come through.

Malcolm

Back