Question About Getting Stereo Separation With Rhythm Guitar Tracks

I widened a guitar track recently by panning it hard to one side and panning a reverb (just for the guitar) to the opposite side. But I had another midrange instrument across from it to balance it out.

Well here's the final verdict. I was able to achieve the desired result. Although it's obviously not as good as simply double-tracking, I was able to get good separation between the two tracks. All the sound is no longer dead center. I was able to open up the center for the vocals, leads, etc. I panned the original track hard left, and added all the effects there, in this case reverb and delay. I panned the copy track hard right, nudged it forward 10ms, and left it dry, aside from using an amp simulator. It actually worked out so well that I used the same technique (sans the nudging) on a newer song that I had actually double tracked. It made each side more distinctive, gave me more room in the center for vocals and leads, and gave the overall sound more clarity.

Split the sides into two mono tracks. Check to see if they are in phase. If they aren't correct one side. The sine waves should be up and down in the same places in time.

Split the sides into two mono tracks. Check to see if they are in phase. If they aren't correct one side. The sine waves should be up and down in the same places in time.

This is one of the more incomprehensible posts I've read for a while. You need to expand on this a bit more and enlighten us.

What's the difference between a duck?

Both of one leg are the same

(I read that on the internet earlier today).

Chopping and swapping different verses/choruses has got to be the best way if it's available, but you can still end up with a stranded bridge or intro or outro.

There's a free ADT plug-in:

(( vacuumsound ))

which to me sounds just as good as the ones you have to pay for, which is to say, not very good - at least for guitars.

Back