PSP Master Comp PPM meter question...

mixsit

Does anyone know for sure if their PPM meters- indicate gain reduction?
I presume they are, but the odd thing is they can show reduction (presumably of peaks) but almost regardless of how slow the attack is set, which doesn't seem to add up with the attack settings.

Thanks, yes it has both but the manual only indicates that it shows 'PPM'. However it's movement is in the same direction as the VU (reduction.
So the question might be why is this compressor reacting (apparently) to peaks when the attack is set slow?
I guess maybe the only way to be sure would be to do a sample of actual tests- .5MS wide tics, 1MS, 5MS etc to pin it down? That might work I suppose.

Well, I did some bouncing with this comp to try to nail this down, and while I'm open to being wrong or missing something, this is pretty fricking disappointing.
I took a basic close mic'd snare track set up with it at max ratio (it shows the same tendencies at low ratios just wanted to be sure to hear it's effect rather than just relying on meters). Side chain filters were off as well as all the other 'auto functions. Each time threshold was set so the VU was just under registering reduction.
The same thing happened at 12ms attack in rms mode, 25ms rms, and 25, then 65ms in peak mode.
Each time clearly audible (more so in the last two).. the sound of the peaks being sucked down.

Wow.
Again, I'm open to explanations, but really if I set a comp to ride and or track a song's general movement- or to add a little movement (based on slow settings?.. It means not wanting it to fuck with the transient! was a conscious fricking decision already!

Back