Processing a vocal track

rpb123

Is it better to use a compressor on vocals before [moderate] reverb has been added? Once the reverb is there is it too late to compress? How about adding a different reverb on top?

I know there is probably no right or wrong way to do it, but I'm just looking for opinions.

I know there is probably no right or wrong way to do it, but I'm just looking for opinions.

In the case of reverb, there is pretty much one right way; use it as a 'Send'. Compressors would be used as an insert. Compress before reverb.

In the case of reverb, there is pretty much one right way; use it as a 'Send'. Compressors would be used as an insert. Compress before reverb.
Guys, I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by Send / Insert. I'm using Pro tools and just highlighting the track and click add reverb under Audio Suite.

I don't know PT at all, but somewhere in your channel strip should be slots for Sends and Inserts. You should definitely read the manual to find where they are if they aren't obvious. Also check out this video.

Is it better to use a compressor on vocals before [moderate] reverb has been added?...

In general, Reverb is driven or activated the most by volume peaks in the recorded track. The louder the volume peak, the louder and longer the reverberation tail, (or ringing,) that will follow each peak.

Compression serves to reduce high volume peaks, (depending on threshold,) to level out the track for manageability.

If you compress the track after reverb, the highest peaks may be reduced, but not always the underlying reverberation that follows each peak, (unless compression release time is as long as the reverb tail). You will likely end up with leftover loudly ringing areas that sound unnatural or out-of-place. In other words, the reverb can have a tendency to pump.

I view compression as a "maintenance" type of operation along with things like basic editing, pitch correction, track cleaning, etc. I view Reverb and EQing as "polishing" type of operations. My rule of thumb is to always do maintenance before polishing.

Guys, I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by Send / Insert. I'm using Pro tools and just highlighting the track and click add reverb under Audio Suite.

Hi,
In protools create a new stereo auxiliary track and set the input to bus 1+2, or the first available pair if 1+2 are in use.
Now, on your audio track, click send a and set it to bus 1+2. Now click on that send and make sure the fader is up.

This splits your signal in two so the dry signal goes to the normal output as before, but a copy of it also goes to the aux track.
Click one of the insert points on your aux track and put a reverb plugin on there, 100% wet.

Now you have a fader purely for reverb. :)

Hope that helps.

Thank you all very much. I have now figured out the proper way to use reverb as a send and Compression as an Insert. I have one more question, however. I have 2 vocal tracks because some phrases are spliced and faded into overlapping sections. How can I compress both tracks at the same time? Or perhaps bounce the two into one track?

Thank you all very much. I have now figured out the proper way to use reverb as a send and Compression as an Insert. I have one more question, however. I have 2 vocal tracks because some phrases are spliced and faded into overlapping sections. How can I compress both tracks at the same time? Or perhaps bounce the two into one track?

Why not just compress them both separately on one channel? Why are you so opposed to using multiple plug-ins?

I mean, if you're really wanting to compress them both at the same time, you can run them both to an aux track and throw a compressor on there, but ya know... People who do that usually have a reason for doing it that way.

I really just recommend using a compressor on both channels, but if you're really dedicated to doing both at once, just make a new stereo aux track and change the input of it to a stereo buss, then change the output of both of your vocal channels to the same buss. Then you can just put one compressor on that aux and be done with it.

I actually started experimenting with this, and use some compression after the vocal's reverb, or compress the reverb on the send channel, it can give you some interesting results if done

Funny how the rules of putting reverb as a send is always mentioned like reverb should not be compressed, the reverb is being compressed by any other compressor down the chain (group compression, master buss, mastering compressors and limiters...)

I actually started experimenting with this, and use some compression after the vocal's reverb, or compress the reverb on the send channel, it can give you some interesting results if done

Funny how the rules of putting reverb as a send is always mentioned like reverb should not be compressed, the reverb is being compressed by any other compressor down the chain (group compression, master buss, mastering compressors and limiters...)

There are no rules. What works well is what works. :)

Is it better to use a compressor on vocals before [moderate] reverb has been added? Once the reverb is there is it too late to compress? How about adding a different reverb on top?

Here's how I mix vocals most of the time:

Head over to 30m:30s for the vocals.

Compressors in series are really useful when you want to compress more but
without making it audible for the listener.

Hard Compressor (Shave the Peaks) -> Gentle Leveling is what my aim was for.

Back