Pro Tools mixing vs Logic mixing?

Isn't pt12 going to have a final purchase option as well?
Its going to be 30£ a month I think, so not 800 a year.
It's scummy either way.

They have subscription model for 30/moth or buy a perpetual license for 800. But u have to pay 200 dollars every year for upgrades for perpetual license.

Why would they do that? They maybe figure that because it's the industry standard, no one can bail on their program. I think they are in for a rude shock down the road, as DAW cross-platform work becomes easier with technological advance.

Why would they do that? They maybe figure that because it's the industry standard, no one can bail on their program.

The number of people who would never bail on Protools, because their business depends on it, might be surprising.
Just ditching it is great in theory, but when do you actually do it?
They've got a lot of people by the balls. :p

Exactly. Of course, there are a lot of people who use other DAWS in addition to PT, but PT is the one commonality in a whole lot of pro studios. And a lot of youngins are in thrall to it--I've had a couple of young rappers ask if I was using PT, and when I responded, "No, I use Samplitude," I never heard from them again. I do believe that will change over time--nothing lasts forever.

Also AVID was delisted from NASDAQ last year. So they aren't doing great for sure. Maybe all the subscription and cloud stuff changes things for better.

And a lot of youngins are in thrall to it--I've had a couple of young rappers ask if I was using PT, and when I responded, "No, I use Samplitude," I never heard from them again. I do believe that will change over time--nothing lasts forever.

It's ridiculous, isn't it. You're right of course. It will change eventually.

Exactly. Of course, there are a lot of people who use other DAWS in addition to PT, but PT is the one commonality in a whole lot of pro studios. And a lot of youngins are in thrall to it--I've had a couple of young rappers ask if I was using PT, and when I responded, "No, I use Samplitude," I never heard from them again. I do believe that will change over time--nothing lasts forever.

I am always amused when someone asks about ProTools. I use Cubase, so I tell them they would get exported waves to import into Protools if they take it elsewhere to mix. I would never give someone the entire PT session file. If you want someone else to mix it they can start from square one. If I am tracking only I don't even give out a rough mix.

It's all pretty relative. TBH: Just use what works best for your creativity. Most DAWs can output good sounding mixes these days. I don't like the way my mixes sound in Pro Tools as much as Logic, but maybe that's just down to the fact that I like the way Logic works better than PT (I haven't used the newer versions of PT). A DAW is just a tool. Your ears and your sensibilities are what matters the most.

I started out with Sonar 5/6 and from the day I tried the free trial of Reaper I've never looked back. Watching Reaper's evolution from what it started as to what it is now has been great. The program has really consistently continued to come up with the goods. I would think a lot of people feel that way about the programs they've invested in and watched grow through the version releases and upgrades, be it ProTools, Cubase, etc.

I've always liked ProTools, when I've used it but I've never considered purchasing it and using it at home. I always pefered Sonar's workflow and stuck with that until Reaper came along. 8yrs later I'm still with Reaper.

Really?
Rappers use Ableton. PT is a bit shite for sampling and MIDI.

I'm looking into buying either pro tools or logic. Every thread I've seen says Logic is better for composing, and pro tools is better for mixing, but none of them explained why. Why would pro tools be better for mixing? Any info you guys have would be appreciated. Thank you.

DAW is DAW is DAW ...they all do same thing ...yes Pro Tools & Logic seem to be industry standard lets say in Nashville..but i can say this...i have mixes that sound just as good as anything mixed on those 2 from Sonar 8.5 Producer... problem is all DAW manufacturers are dropping older versions and lacking support in lieu of making us buy to keep up and it is Horse Hockey... i am sticking with Sonar producer 8.5...it gets the job done... i am willing to try Presonus Studio 1 ... the only thing my Daw lacks is a great MASTERING process and that's best left to the pro mastering facility... altho i am wanting to get T-racks due to it's stand alone capabilities and not just a plugin ... that being said Sonar or whatever you use is up to your ear and ability to make things work in my opinion...ok got off the subject a bit .. go with what is comfortable for you...have you thought about digital performer by MOTU? they have a dual platform MAC & PC now... io just can justify Pro-Tools at 699.00 us a pop... here is a "non mastered mix" in Sonar 8.5 producer

https://soundcloud.com/kevhenderson/a-new-day-dawning

The other thing is that modern daws have so many features, we all use a tiny percentage of them, and assume that is normal. However, other users are using different ones and we don't realise. In cubase, I use the groove agent maple kit an awful lot, and I'm annoyed because the upgrades now use groove agent 2, and annoyingly disable the old one, which means each old project needs the new one patching, and when it loads it now has a pattern mode too, which I don't want. Of course, Steinberg have put it in because people want it, and this again is worth thinking about. Somebody who works with loops and patterns is now happier, I was happy with the old version, so getting an understanding of what 'best' is is very difficult. We like what we like, and then try to justify it against the others. Pointless really!

Back