Preferred software for Remixing

Bradders1975

Hi All,

I have done a little bit of remixing using Sony Acid but really only very amateurish. I would like to spend a bit of time on remixing some tunes just for the fun of it and was wondering if there are any remix enthusiasts on here?

What software do you use when creating a remix (either from stems or original tracks)?
How do you do your tempo matching?

I know it's not "mixing" as per the forum title so if it should be in another forum let me know and I'll sort it out.

Cheers!

From my understanding, "FruityLoops" is built more for that kind of thing.

But as Btyre said, it's not the DAW, It's you! FLoops won't make it any easier, the workflow is different but that's about it.

(I'm an FL user, I can see how it would make sampling easy, I have no experience with other daws other than Audacity, so take what I said with a pinch of salt if you will)

Why is the tempo a problem? In FL you can just click "Detect Tempo" and it does all the work for you, and if your samples are in a different bpm you can just stretch them to make them fit. There are lots of YouTube videos explaining this for the specific program, maybe look at some before you make up your mind?

yeah, obviously the finished product is going to be determined by my own creativity / input so perhaps I phrased the question incorrectly. Probably should have said, "anyone doing any remixing out there, can you recommend a DAW that has a workflow that most supports your creative process in this area"?

Cheers for the heads up on FL, haven't looked at it for years. Beat mapping in ACID is hit and miss and in Sonar is very laborious (still might end up being the best bet but just checking if anyone had a recommended option based on their own experience). I'll have another look at it.

I've tried remixing. I was trying to push and understand Ableton. Did a remix set that lasted an hour, each section going through as many keys as I could for example. Changed the BPMs as well to increase each song then decrease towards the end of the set. Used the glitching so that it was not just a DJ set but an actual dance mix. Took some old songs and added a beat so there was always something to move to, that sort of thing.

For live remixing, and set lists, I have to give Ableton a real thumbs up. If you are going to do live remix sets, you really have to have a controller to make it work.

I have done a little bit of remixing using Sony Acid but really only very amateurish. I would like to spend a bit of time on remixing some tunes just for the fun of it and was wondering if there are any remix enthusiasts on here?

I've done a bit from time to time for a bit of fun and for a few Technohead friends of mine who still DJ.

What software do you use when creating a remix (either from stems or original tracks)?

Reaper, Reason & Imagination <~That's homemade.

How do you do your tempo matching?

Tempo matching for me consists of Time Stretching samples and, where necessary, cutting them up and manually aligning them to the grid. I guess it all depends on the sample, the tempo required/desired and how it fits in context with what you're doing and trying to achieve. I can't explain because I don't know and I probably wouldn't have a clue what to do with any other program as I've fumbled my way with Reaper in the times I've done it.

For example -

Bust That Groove (Techno Remix)
[MP3]http://themrclean.co.uk/mp3/Bust%20That%20Groove%20Remix.mp3[/MP3]

This is the original. Sonz Of A Loop Da Loop Era - Bust That Groove

Where as something like this I made from scratch. Everything but the bass drum, hihat and synth are sampled from the Full Metal Jacket Soundtrack and DVD.

Private Joker
[MP3]http://themrclean.co.uk/mp3/Private%20Joker.mp3[/MP3]

What do you want to do? :thumbs up:

No worries, I hope you find a DAW that suits your needs, FLoops is the most popular on YouTube. But one of the least popular DAW's that producers actually use! I have tried to Google reasons as to why this is and I can't find any actual legit reasons apart from people saying "eats too much CPU" and "Glitchy", but having none of these problems myself, I am more than happy with the DAW itself.

Cons -
32bit VST's not 64bit although backwards compatible "apparently"

No Key-switching in the articulations section of Piano Roll, but someone did make a VST which gets over this

Can't rename the Piano roll keys which I find should be essential for Drums/keyswitches

Changing the BPM midway through the song is a fucker, so I write songs which avoid doing this now.
It's not a problem if working in midi which is what I do most frequently to plot a song idea down ready for final record, but for your purpose it could quickly become a cluster fuck.

Apart from that, it really does do everything "very, very" well.

But give Ableton/protools/cubase etc a go as well if you can too.

Good luck

James.

"Edit - Oh and many people out there consider Floops to be for n00bs. Which I find to be completely untrue, I wish it were n00b friendly! hah."

Also, new player on the block by some of the developers from Ableton is Bitwig. I've heard the software is pretty decent.

Back