Pls EQ a vocal Sample

anoopbal

Hi everyone,

Can anyone EQ my 20 sec vocal please?

I just want to see how the curves look like. I just think I may not be doing right because of my room acoustics. I don't wan any fune tuning. I just want to see a basic EQ curve would look for my voice recorded in my room. Like it it is too boxy or boomy or lack high end. This is the only way I would learn

I can upload the the instrument track if that helps.

View attachment Vocal_Sample.mp3

Hi anoopbal,

I don't know how to explain this but you can't just look at the curves to learn how to EQ. You have to learn how to use your ears.

What yellow said but also it's pointless to EQ something on it's own. Eq is for making something sound better in the mix, not on it's own.

I agree with both of you. My room acoustics is not so good and hence I really cannot judge I feel. Even my room acoustics is good, others can find problems that you won't.

My question is what sticks out when you listen to it. Is too much low end, not enough high end, too much mid and such comments.

There are some pretty common rules when it comes to EQ on vocals. These are some frequency area's you can focus on:

add some presence (2khz - 5khz area)
add some air using a shelf-filter (7.5khz area +)
Take out the low-end with a hi-pass filter
Add some low-mids in the 200 - 500 hz area. (only if your vocal is sounding thin after applying the settings above)

When it comes to low-end, make sure to roll everything off that isn't necessary and causes muddiness. If you are noticing that your vocal is becoming to sound thinner, just take it back a few steps. I cannot give you exact numbers because it's different with every vocal. It has to do with the natural timbre of the singer, the gender (male voices are lower than females, at least most of the time), etc.

This article explains it pretty well:
How to: make a lead vocal sit on top of the mix | MIXINGMAG

Just as Guitargodgt says, if you really want a popping vocal you'll need some more than just EQ.
You can give your vocal a nice place to sit in the mix by using EQ, which is very important for your overall track, but you can't say anything meaningful about a vocal sample alone. Your vocal may sound amazing on it's own, but sound terrible in the mix of your song.

If you want a popping / stable vocal use some compression and automation. You can always color the vocal the way you want afterwards, using: 'chorus, reverb, delays, and a lot more'.

Hope this helps!

I think you missed the point of the first reply. The only thing that matters is what the vocal sounds like in the mix. If you give us the music bed that the vocal goes with, we could do something.

I don't hear any problems with the room in the vocal, but it is completely out of context, so there is no way to tell if it is great or not.

I don't hear any problems with the room in the vocal, but it is completely out of context, so there is no way to tell if it is great or not.

DITTO

Nothing stands out as bad with the EQ curve of the vocal...as it sounds by itself.

Back