Piano to sound good

Chuku

Any suggestions on making this better please??

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    22.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
First off...what is it that you don't like about it...what are you trying to fix?
Make it better in what way?

OK...if you find it a bit muddy...roll off the low-end using a low shelf EQ, and just move the shelf up in frequency while the piano plays, and find the spot where you think it's less muddy. Somewhere 150-250 HZ is where your shelf should start to roll off the low end.

Something like this:

EQ-vocals-step-1.png

You can also use other bands of the EQ to adjust the mids and highs...but you don't need a lot of boost or cut.

After you sort that out...then if you think some reverb would work well, add a little...play around with the settings, but again, you won't need much since the piano tends to have a good deal of it's own reverb.

I'm not hearing any upper frequencies at all. Looks like a bit of a hump down 300-ish, but there's just nothing past 3k. I'd try a different sample or instrument. Can you post the MIDI?

I'm not hearing any upper frequencies at all. Looks like a bit of a hump down 300-ish, but there's just nothing past 3k. I'd try a different sample or instrument. Can you post the MIDI?

Right...whenever I need a piano VSTi, I usually dial through the whole bunch I have, since they all have their tone, and some just sit better than others for a given situation.
I don't think the piano sample is really "muddy"...just needs a touch of sparkle on the high-end...but again, it all depends on the whole mix.
Sometimes I've rolled off the bright highs because they were getting in the way...other times I might roll off the low end a lot, to get rid of the hammer "THUNK".

The thing that bugs me most about the clips is that there are no dynamics in the arpeggios...every note has the same exact velocity. Also, the arpeggios are to "stiff"...like they were quantized to a grid.
Of course...that may not be an issue in some cases...but if you are going for a natural sounds and feel, I would adjust those things also, along with the EQ.

Miro hit on a good point no dynamics, no feel..... probably was not played with a touch sensitive keyboard ..there is no way I can imagine getting it to sound natural without using a keyboard with velocity sensitivity.

Back