Piano song + vocal..

jackjameson_

Hey guys,, ive been writing a piano song..

just a piano with a vocal.. in a other thread i wrote that my vocals sound thin and low volume.. i want to make it very prensented.. close to the ear.. is there a way to do this with pluggins?

Singing lessons? Ever hear the statement 'you can't polish a turd'? Record a good vocal track and your work is 95% done. Why is it 'thin'? Mic? Room? Technique?

ive singing lessons.. its more.. the vocal doesnt stand-out.. vs the Pro songs.. its feels like my vocal has far less body than somebody with less singing qualities and great equipment. A friend owns the Neumann tlm 103 with the Avalon 737sp.. its sounds amazing.. even if he sings shit.. it sounds good..

ive singing lessons.. its more.. the vocal doesnt stand-out.. vs the Pro songs.. its feels like my vocal has far less body than somebody with less singing qualities and great equipment. A friend owns the Neumann tlm 103 with the Avalon 737sp.. its sounds amazing.. even if he sings shit.. it sounds good..

What are you recording with? you have not given any detail. If it's a $30 mic plugged into a laptop jack it will never sound like a 103 & avalon.

Alan.

I really doubt that. If you sound like crap now, you will sound like crap with slightly better detail with a better recording chain. Did you record a separate vocal track or did you do it all with one mic? Turn up the vocal track? Thin I can't help you with.. again, you can make marginal changes with EQ but a lousy vocal is a lousy vocal.

BTW.... I had had both a TLM103 and an Avalon 737. The Avalon is a very uninspiring pre. People think it's great because it is the most expensive pre in the Musicians friend catalog. It's also shiny and has lot of lights. The TLM is a nice mic.

Hey man, I just watched the YouTube link you sent, or at least a bit of it. If that's you singing, then your voice isn't the problem. So please provide a list of your recording chain. Mic, preamp (if any), digital interface, software, computer, and monitors and/or headphones. This will give us all an idea of what you're working with and help zero in on the problem. Also, if you can post an audio example of these thin vocals that you want bigger and more in your face, that would be great. Let's figure this out.

hey guys

sorry for my late reaction.. the yt link is recording with the Mbox mini2, presonus studiochannel and the Rode nt1000.. now im recording with a presonus vsl44 presonus studiochannel and a Rode NTK.. on my krk my voice sounds fine but on my Yamaha hs7.. they r sounding thin.

My room acoustics are bad and ive low ceilings!

sorry for my late reaction.. the yt link is recording with the Mbox mini2, presonus studiochannel and the Rode nt1000.. now im recording with a presonus vsl44 presonus studiochannel and a Rode NTK.. on my krk my voice sounds fine but on my Yamaha hs7.. they r sounding thin.

I listened to the YT song and you are a good singer with a nice voice. Your voice sounded a little dull in the video, needed some "sheen"...high mids?? Not at all terrible, however.... What does the new chain you mention sound like?

ive duplicated the vocal track and panned it to the left and right.. doesnt make a lot of difference..

Duplicate the track? This will do nothing but make one mono straight up the middle the same as you had initially, probably at a lower volume to compensate for the panning.

Sing it twice and pan it L & R. Then you'll hear a good full sound. :thumbs up:

I listened to the YT song and you are a good singer with a nice voice. Your voice sounded a little dull in the video, needed some "sheen"...high mids?? Not at all terrible, however.... What does the new chain you mention sound like?

Yes this is exactly what i ment! thank you. The Rode NTK still has the same harsh top but with a little bit more mid and bottem end. Sometimes when i want a more close ear personal sounding it ends up muddy.. pushing the hi mids will get it nasal.. so i figured.. maybe i need a really good outbourd compressor or preamp.. like for $500.. its not a lot but.. i dont have alot.

---------- Update ----------

Duplicate the track? This will do nothing but make one mono straight up the middle the same as you had initially, probably at a lower volume to compensate for the panning.

Sing it twice and pan it L & R. Then you'll hear a good full sound. :thumbs up:

u mean.. double it only at some parts? too fill it up? thats a great idea

Back