Passive studio monitor ** **

caskrew

i am looking for a passive 10' studio monitor as i already have powered monitors but am looking for passive for they are cheaper then powered and i already have an amp ?

can you guys take the time to list some unpowered passive monitors here please

10' studio monitor...

That's HUGE.

Seriously though, this is the wrong place for this, as it pertains to rooms and acoustics. This questions belongs, and you'd have a better chance in the "Equipment" forums.

Asking the "guys" to "take the time..."?

It took me about 5 seconds to find that there's a sticky, "The Passive Monitor Round-Up" at the top of "Other Equipment and Reviews" forum.

Last edited:
And how good, "big" is the amp?
Passive speakers need more power than actives because you do not get the advantages of "bi-amping"

100W per channel would be a minimum in my view and don't forget, MOST amp makers tell porkies about power!

Dave.

i am looking for a passive 10' studio monitor as i already have powered monitors but am looking for passive for they are cheaper thAn powered and i already have an amp ?
Powered or passive has nothing to do with price... Maybe on the same make/model - But otherwise, no relation.

That all said -- Dynaudio BM15P -- You can probably score a used set for under $2000.

100W per channel would be a minimum in my view and don't forget, MOST amp makers tell porkies about power!

Not quite. You've absolutely got to take into consideration the efficiency of the speakers and the size of the room.

I've got a Crown D75 into a pair of Ohm L's that'll make your ears bleed. That's just 55 clean watts per channel.

Not quite. You've absolutely got to take into consideration the efficiency of the speakers and the size of the room.

I've got a Crown D75 into a pair of Ohm L's that'll make your ears bleed. That's just 55 clean watts per channel.

FORK! There's always one!
Heh! Crown are one of the good guys and in any case 55W is less than 3dB under 100W so barely a change.

As far back as the 70's top firms like Quad realized that the then "modern" IB speakers needed more power than their 45WPCH 303 and came up with the Current Dumping 100W 405.

My point is, again, amp makers are very keen to pump up their power speccs' so unless you ARE buying in the Crown, Quad class take every figure with a cup of salt. 100W into 4 Ohms is probably ok since most speakers are 8R but many dip quite low at certain frequencies because they have those nasty crossover networks in them! Talking "va" really not "watts".

Take the ever popular "starter" Roket 5s? 30 and 20watt amps in the smallest monitors and because they are bi-amped and there is no high level crossover that 50W is easily worth 100watts.
The wee Equators sport 50+50W each!

And "ear bleed" can be due to harsh tweeters!
Dave.

i am looking for a passive 10' studio monitor as i already have powered monitors but am looking for passive for they are cheaper then powered and i already have an amp ?

can you guys take the time to list some unpowered passive monitors here please

I used to run the small Rockit & Tannoy self powered monitors in my studio for a while.
My mixes weren't that bad, but the smaller drivers gave poor bass response which didn't translate well on a lot of home systems; even with a well treated room acoustics & mastering.

A friend turned me on to a custom monitor builder who made me a pair of passive pair.
They are a two way system that have 10" woofers and beautiful 10" wood horns.
They sound great and bass is not a problem in my mixes anymore; everything much more accurate.

Anyway, if you want to learn more about them, drop me a pm.

5StudioAllwood_zps012df01c.jpg

Back