Panning

I dunno. So many tangents and misinterpretations and assumptions (semi insults like I'm dumb/asking what my favorite color is), idea that I'm asking permission, etc. Then I have to explain it all. Really I just want to know if mixing in mono is fine in the modern age. Maybe I should have kept it that simple.
But since I didn't, I just regret making the thread now.

That you even manage to get your shoes tied is nothing short of a miracle. ;)

I just want to know if mixing in mono is fine in the modern age. Maybe I should have kept it that simple.

TBH...even when you put it that simple, it does kinda sound like you're asking for approval...which is what ashcat was getting at when he said "permission".

Also...I don't really see that modern music is so overly focused on huge, wide stereo mixes. There's a lot of Indie Folk/Pop that has more of a early '60s vibe to it rather than huge stereo images with lots of panned elements.

Do whatever serves the music. If you have done a good job, no one will question the production.

I concur with the sentiment conveyed by miroslav.

I myself like to use the whole stereo field and fewer fx overall than most people. That being said, I found an old stereo 2 track mix of a jam that I am absolutely saving and using it sounds so good. A kick mic, a KSM32 acting as OH/room mic, e609 hanging on the guitar amp, and bass direct off the amp. Damn if those mono sounding drums don't sound wonderfully 1974 and beautiful.

I may be new here, but I do feel comfortable saying go for the mono sound if it's working for you. It's already working for 10,000 artists you've never heard and probably never will.

Back