Outboard Gear Processing setup

That may be true in any particular instance, but the basic concept of going out to a processor (tape machine) and back in isn't rocket science and has been around close to forever.

That's great.
Recommending that the OP use two separate audio interfaces more likely to lead to issues than sticking to one interface.
Particularly if your advice with regard to setting it up is "How the hell would I know?".

"Recommending that the OP use two separate audio interfaces more likely to lead to issues than sticking to one interface".

Feel free to post this recommendation, so "we all" can see what you are cherry picking

"Particularly if your advice with regard to setting it up is "How the hell would I know?"".

How would I know what gear the OP has ? That was your implication by asking how he would set that up

Did you take a double Geritol today, or what : )

There's a list of reasons why using a soundcard and audio interface in tandem can be difficult, problematic, or just less than ideal.

A big enough list to warrant pointing it out.

I doubt that is as problematic for some as running out of toilet paper. I fail to see how putting that MONO track out and back in as problematic

Ok.

Many recording suites won't let you address two audio devices simultaneously.
Many operating system versions won't allow software to address two audio devices simultaneously.
Built in sound cards are more prone to issues relating to driver stability, resulting in crashes or playback artefacts.
Built in sound cards are more prone to interference due to the close proximity to other components in the computer, the quality of the power supply, and the fact that audio is unbalanced.

While the setup may work for you I'm simply saying it might not be the best solution.

I didn't mean to imply it was Apple easy, just that you probably just have to buy patch cables and the outboard boxes. The Sanyo DC-411 amp I'm using in my music room, actually, has tape out on the front panel. I'm using 8 i/o on my interface but none of that is for processing, 'cept inputs when I want to use the DAW. Regular computer out goes to the amp and is distributed through four tape loops. Three loops can be anything, but normally, it's 2-track, rack processing, and switching in the hardware recorders. Maybe today, I put tube preamps in there on one loop

Back