OKAY, looking for input on new monitors purchase.

Here are the options: Choose multi, if you like more than one.

• Save for Level 2 monitors

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • KRK 8g3's and keep the 5's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KRK VST 4 and keep the 8's

• Mackie MR8 mk3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Behringer Truth B3031A

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • JBL LSR308

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Event 20/20 BAS

• Tannoy Reveal 802

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Presonus Eris E8

• Yamaha HS8

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • M-Audio M3-8

• Alesis M1 mkII

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have the krk 8's. I tried the presonus eris 8's. I found them to be fatiguing to my ears. Couldn't listen to them for any length of time without hurting. The k 8's are awesome. I can mix on them for days without getting tired and I know my mixes are going to translate well. The only thing I had to add was a subwoofer, just to make sure that bottom was ok cuz the krk 8's only go to 45 or 50
If was was going to spend more money I would look at Adam's, Focal, Genolec...I love the adams and focals (friends own them)
But for everyday inexpensive mixing, my krk 8's rock

I've been using a pair of KRK Rokit 6 G2's for about 5 years and upgraded to the JBL LSR308's three months ago. It certainly was an upgrade. Maybe not the best monitor in the world, but I can mix on them, and they translate very well.

Enjoy your new monitors!!

I bought a pair of JBL LSR308s a few weeks ago and absolutely love them. I have an older Fostex 2.1 system so didn't bother with buying a sub, and am just as happy that I didn't. The JBLs have plenty of bottom end to do most stuff with. Granted, I don't do hiphop, edm or any rediculously bassy recording. My is Country, Smooth Jazz, soft Pop ... that kind of stuff. The 308s are very clean and I was pleased for the money. Like one of the other posters mention, if you have a decent pair of monitors already, I personaly would spend the money on getting my room right. I did my own room, a 14' 4" X 11' 6" x 7' 11-13/16" room, and my total cost by diying everything was under $400.00 and IMO was the best money I spent on my set up. If you have a decent pair of monitors, which is sounds like you do, and just want some other speakers I'd get some kind of home system to use as monitors to check against. As I said, I have the JBLs, the Fostex 2.1 system and a set of Bose 301s. My next purchase is going to be a monitor controller.

FWIW, I recently did a live a/b/c/d of the new 8" KRK Rokits, Yamaha HS8s, Presonus Eris 8s' and JBL LSR 308s at Sweetwater Music during their 2014 Gearfest.

The speakers were set up in one of their Retail room set-ups for listening/instruction.

The JBLs won hands down primarily due to their overall sound and an unmatched spatial depth provided by the new Tweeter Wave Guide.

Comparatively, the KRK Rokits (have always) sounded muffled, the Yamaha HS8s sounded lifeless and the Eris 8's didn't have the depth.

I bought the JBLs, brought them home and continued testing them against my M-Audio BX8As V1 (not BX8s) and my Yamaha HS7s.

Interstingly, they match the majority of the HS7s sound realm but have added depth, better midrange and more (but not overbearing) bass Response.

The JBLs also match the majority of the M-Audio BX8As sound realm, but again have that added depth AND they add a nice chunk of midrange that is truly lacking in the M-Audio.

Needless to say, the M-Audios and Yamahas are on Craigslist!

Bob G.

Last edited:
I've listened to the Adam 7s and would not ever buy them. Too heavy on the bass and too weak on top. They are muddy and just not good to my ears. That's why they're not on my list.

Okay, I need to edit this for posterity. This is in no way a reflection of Adam speakers. I may have had a bad set (see later post). I may have had ear fatigue when I listened to this set I spent 3 hours in a vault at GC listening to 15 different sets of speakers. This may not have given any specific speaker a fair shake, but I liked several and my SPL and spectrum apps may not have been accurate, but they were consistent. Any number of things may have happened. You should do your own comparisons and not take this post as a Bible on the sound of all Adam 7" speaker sets. The set I heard was not something I'd put in my space.

Last edited:
I've listened to the Adam 7s and would not ever buy them. Too heavy on the bass and too weak on top. They are muddy and just not good to my ears. That's why they're not on my list.

See... This is where personal opinion becomes ones personal judgment.

This also creates a false sense of opinion on the net with comments like this.

You have a room that is not treated properly (I assume this because you would have already answered this question yourself), and are asking opinion of monitors to purchase, and give an opinion of monitors that you have no basis for giving such other that the fact that your experience found them not good. From what are you basing that opinion and how does that even apply to others?

How can you expect to give good advice or ask it of others if you do not even include the fact that you have not treated your room properly.

How did you even come up with the list in your poll?

Sorry man, but I call this whole thread nonsensical just from your last statement. You cannot form that opinion from just a listen to a pair of monitors without having them in your (well treated) space and comparing them with others after a huge amount of time working with them.

Sorry man. I just can't support an opinion without basis for it.

Exactly,
Adam 7 what ?... Adam a7xs, Adam F7s, Adam A7s, Adam A77x which ones did you hear ? and where did you hear them. The A7x are never described in professional reviews as bass heavy and top light. The X-art ribbon tweeter is a new technology and your the first person I've ever seen call them muddy. Have your facts straight before you make a statement like that.

Last edited:
Sorry, sat in the vault at GC and listened to 15 different sets with the same source. Might have been a bad set of Adam's I got a hold of, but that was what I heard. I'm not saying the speakers are not good. They didn't make MY list of speakers that I'm considering. I took some fairly good notes, even PM'd some of them to RAMI. Took my SPL app and sat and listened at various levels to 10 different sets, threw out several and c

Can't afford to bring all 15 into my home to figure out which ones I want to keep. That seems ridiculous to recommend. In store is one thing, to ask to borrow them seemed a little over the top.

The very first thing on my list of things to do right now is a ceiling cloud and London 8 set from Primacoustic. Already have them on the way from Amazon, so I hope this wasn't a waste of time. Bought some Auralex bass traps at GC while I was there. and they've helped the room fairly well already.

I'm not trying to sound like I am the know all of studio monitors, I'm trying to get people's opinions and reasons for those opinions. I just gave my opinion and the reason for that opinion. Sorry you didn't like it.

It wasn't an issue with your opinion man. It has more to do with making a statement that 'Googlers' will find directly and consider it fact, when in actuality it is not.

Sorry man, I was not trying to be a dick, just making it clear that reviews when stated as fact in a poor environment are not accurate.

And by the way, what the heck are you doing falling for the ruse of Auralex bass traps? Have you not listened to anything on this site?

Jeez man. You need to listen to the voice of reason. Or at least the guys who take the time to post what works and what doesn't.

Sorry if I am sounding like an ass, but you really need to take a step back and read or listen. Seriously man.

Oh, and I have some Auralex bass traps that someone gave me that I will gladly pay forward. Or waste forward. They are purple and look cool. They do not do much though other than look cool and purple.

Watch, as soon as I take them out of my control room my mixes will suck. :)

Okay, my first choice were the M-Audio M3-8s. Based on what I've read, I should go back and re-listen to those, the Behringers and obviously from the poll, the JBL's. Give a final listen and make a final decision AFTER I get the acoustics under control. This is a major project for me, and I'm trying to get it right. Have asked a lot of questions, got a lot of good info and am ready to start purchasing... First up is my new piano (Kawai 220). After acoustics are tamed, Native Instruments KA-6 (to run two sets of monitors), the second set of monitors and some nice plugs for Reason (C1-L1, drawbar additive synth, some McDSP stuff and the SeligLeveler). New toys week! :D :D
Need a new desk and chair and get rid of the 7' tall cabinets in the room, clean up, spruce up and get it in order. Maybe next year, I'll try to pump up my dismal mike locker.

This little thread got me curious and I was at my local GC yesterday and the JBL LS308's were on sale.... so, here they sit on my desk. unfortunately, the have a back-firing bass port, so I think I need more treatment on the wall behind my desk. This could be problematic for me, I can really hear the nulls with the bass part of a song I'm working on. One note is there and the next disappears. Hmmmm, GC has a 30 day return policy...

We'll see. I'm going to experiment with more bass trapping before making a decision. Just thought I'd throw this out there. Back-firing ports need to be a consideration.

We'll see. I'm going to experiment with more bass trapping before making a decision. Just thought I'd throw this out there. Back-firing ports need to be a consideration.

I'm going to take the JBL's back. Partly because of the poor response in my room; partly because I want to use the money for other things. I don't think my experience with them should persuade anyone else's decisions on monitors. Except to say that the only way to know if they are the right ones is to get them in YOUR studio and try them out.

Back