Noise Gate Help

ChrisKY

Okay, so I'm in the process of mixing a rock song in a home studio that isn't sound proofed (I know thats bad but I just don't have it in my budget as of right now) and every time I have recorded a vocal it sounds like there is this high pitch of constant throbbing behind the vocal. You can't hear it in the actual song when the instruments are playing but when I solo it, it's definitely present and needs to be removed.

I'm referencing an article:

https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorial...for-an-amazing-professional-sound--audio-7933

With that information a noise gate should take care of it, but I honestly can't tell much of a difference with it on....What am I not doing? (Besides of course, not soundproofing) - I have a stand that covers the mic from behind so it's not just in open air.

The first thing you’ll probably notice about any vocal recording (good or bad) is the presence of background noise, ranging from subtle to annoying. This can be caused by anything; a computer in the studio, traffic, background conversation and, of course, headphone output bleeding onto the microphone.

Before the core of the vocal signal can be tackled and processed efficiently, as much of this background noise as possible must be removed.

I actually don't agree with that at all. You could say instead- a track needs to be of high enough quality to cut it in the roll of a track, or quality of the production ..
The right 'room ambiences might be there (and kept -for good reason), or you might want to go for clean and dry.

Gate on a vocal? (home recording here)... maybe never here.

Make a clip of what you are getting. It could be you do have some nasties to sort out, but likely not go with 'gate first'.

Other than "Is it bypassed or not set up correctly?" or something like that...

If you have a (whine?) of some sort going on, even with a noise gate, you're still going to hear it. You just won't hear it when the level drops below the threshold of the gate (where it kicks in).

what would you all recommend then if not a noise gate? Everywhere online is saying a noise gate is what to do? I'm really confused on how to take it out of the vocals. I would post a mp3 file of it but I don't see anywhere I could do that at.

what would you all recommend then if not a noise gate? Everywhere online is saying a noise gate is what to do? I'm really confused on how to take it out of the vocals. I would post a mp3 file of it but I don't see anywhere I could do that at.
It kind of depends on what this noise you described is -where it comes from, etd.
If its a 'bad room/tone effect bleeding into the track? Then the likely easiest best cheepest solution could be a- the right mic at b- the right distance + c, some easy cheap soft stuff around (and maybe above too) you and your mic.
A gate (most/many) are too 'cut and dried / 'on off' abbrupt for a vocal.
You end up fighting a dance on something like this between being 'enough to silience between phrases -even words, then you're left with this very unnatural 'on-off' of the noises.. What about softer or sustained portions..? The noise is now still sitting in there with the vocal.
There's a saying.. (re gates) If you didn't want to hear it (the noise) when the track's off', why would you want it there when it is on'.
Gates strong suite is cleaning up a drum, tightening up the decay of a snare, stuff like that.

Would anyone mind sharing screens so I can show them what I'm talking about so I could possibly get some help?

Back