A nifty trick for killing cymbal in the snare direct mic.

That is awesome. I've heard about something like that. So here's what he did. The purpose was to reduce cymbal bleed in a snare track without killing the top end of the snare.

1. Duplicate the track.
2. Add compression to the duplicate, then high pass it at about 700Hz.
3. Reverse the phase on the duplicate and blend with the original.
4. Raise or lower the level of the duplicate to control the amount of cymbal reduction.

I will be trying this tomorrow.

Wow... this is fantastic!

That is awesome. I've heard about something like that. So here's what he did. The purpose was to reduce cymbal bleed in a snare track without killing the top end of the snare.

1. Duplicate the track.
2. Add compression to the duplicate, then high pass it at about 700Hz.
3. Reverse the phase on the duplicate and blend with the original.
4. Raise or lower the level of the duplicate to control the amount of cymbal reduction.

I will be trying this tomorrow.

I love how creative some of these techniques are. Thanks for the video I will be definitely using this in the future!

Interesting. I usually go for the opposite and try to make the snare louder in the OHs.

The overhead tracks have nothing to do with this technique. I don't think you understand what he is doing. He is phase cancelling the top end (cymbal) bleed in the snare direct mic with a duplicate snare direct mic.

Basically it's a (arguably) better sounding way to kill cymbal bleed in the snare direct mic over traditional gate techniques.

The overhead tracks have nothing to do with this technique. I don't think you understand what he is doing. He is phase cancelling the top end (cymbal) bleed in the snare direct mic with a duplicate snare direct mic.

Basically it's a (arguably) better sounding way to kill cymbal bleed in the snare direct mic over traditional gate techniques.

Oh, I got the technique, it's just that it's a very different tack than I use to get the same effect (sufficient snare volume without a lot of cymbal wash). He's addressing it in the snare track; I address it in the OHs.

I find it almost impossible to get that low 200hz body smack by trying to dig it out of the overheads. Different strokes of course.

I find it almost impossible to get that low 200hz body smack by trying to dig it out of the overheads. Different strokes of course.

Yeah, I mostly rely on the main snare mic(s), but I find some weird side-chain gating shenanigans in the OHs helps it pop a little.

Back