New to mixing vocals, how does this sample sound?

BeatsByC4

Hi everyone
Im pretty new to recording and mixing and this is a quick sample that I recorded over a free beat. Please tell me what you think and how I can make it better/reverse if I did something bad or overused something.
Effects used are basic eq, hard compression and limiting, auto tune, delay, reverb and a little exciter.

Please note that the beat I used was already mastered. I just eq'd it a little to open up some space for the vocals.
Please tell me how I can make it sound more 'professional' and 'sit in the beat' better.
I appreciate your help

soundcloud.com/parsa-taheri-499210293

Hi everyone
Im pretty new to recording and mixing and this is a quick sample that I recorded over a free beat. Please tell me what you think and how I can make it better/reverse if I did something bad or overused something.
Effects used are basic eq, hard compression and limiting, auto tune, delay, reverb and a little exciter.

Please note that the beat I used was already mastered. I just eq'd it a little to open up some space for the vocals.
Please tell me how I can make it sound more 'professional' and 'sit in the beat' better.
I appreciate your help

soundcloud.com/parsa-taheri-499210293

Something like this would get more feedback in the mp3 clinic. Try there, for starters. Then, it's always going to be a little difficult getting the vocals to fit in a track that is using pre-recorded reverb. I didn't hear any live instruments in the one play I gave it, and pads/electronic instruments don't have a room sound to them so that helps, unless, of course, the mix had reverb applied elsewhere. Then, as I mentioned, getting other stuff to fit onto it might be tougher. However, vocals can usually have a distinct reverb and get away with it. One example is a flat plate reverb on vocals, but studio reverbs on instruments.

You'll mostly want to experiment with the space options for the vocal. Try different verbs, try longer pre-delays (maybe 80-100ms), try scratching reverb and just using delay...or even try both verb and delay in sequence. EQ and compression sounded ok, to me. It seemed more of an issue of the "space" than anything.

Try the mp3 clinic. When there, paste your link and then highlight it and click the Soundcloud button in the posting toolbar...that'll make it possible to stream your track from this page.

Back