New Forum member with questions :o)

DogRox

Yo all.. i been reading this forum for awhile now..since i aquired a tascam 488 mkii last year! I just signed in now.. to see if some peepels can help me out with some advice to some mixing effects i am trying to achieve here.

OK first of all i am not experienced with mixing obviously or i wouldnt be going bonkers trying to get a good mix in my recent project!

hers is some fo the things i am having troubles with:

1) i am tyring to get this effect of sounds approaching you in the middle in a distance.. and then going by you... granted this is NOT 3d sound i am playing with .. just plain stereo left and right. .. but just the simple effect to give the illusion that it is approaching and then going by!

The sound signal be MONO in the center off in the distance .. at least SOUND like it is in the distance.. then as it approaches i wanna widen the sound to sound like your going right between it, as it goes on by you.. so it needs to have a stereo effect there...

Meanwhile while this is happening there will be music or some ambiance sound in the background that will playing as all this is happening.

All i have for effects processor hooked into the tascam 488 mkii is a yamaha SPX-90

The who process is to give acheive a DISTANCE type feel! like travling through space! Know what i mean?!?!

I have good sound editor programs for the computer which is GOOD in general but not very good for getting the effect i want through the mixer as I have worked with the computer to make sounds before, and keeping them digital i would burn them to audio cd (keeping them 44k stereo) there is still alwasy static in the sounds that is VERYYYYYYYYYYYY annoying!.. now matter what i do to clean them up there is always some thign that doesnt make them sound right in comparing it to doing the efect on the tascam wiht the SPX-90.

My question is how can i acheive this effect using the tascam and the spx90 ratcher then using the effects on the audio editing sofwtare?!

Ok i know this is a huge thing.. but man it has been racking my brains cause i have worked wiht day and night and cant seem to get that sound that is in my head!! know what i mean?!?!

I appreciate ANYYYYYYYY help wiht ideas !! Like i say i am not experinces at all wiht mixing.. I did alot of studio work as a guitarist.. but i never mixed... now i am workignon a small little project with my tascam and a korg x3!

thanx all! :o)
cheerz
dog

I've never done this before, but I wonder if this would work. The left to right is simple panning. The far to near part...

More reverb = more distance from the listener. So start with a fair amount of reverb, lessening it off until it gets quite dry (close-up). In addition, increase the volume as you decrease the reverb, making the sound louder as it gets close to you.

In addition, you might want to try having the sound very compressed (less dynamic range far away), and lessening off the compression as it gets closer. Use the compression before the reverb so that you don't compress the reverb.

As I say, I've never done this, but it might be worth a try. Seeing as half a dozen others have viewed the post and not responded, I figured, if nothing else, it might spark a bit of discussion about it.

Chris

Hey chris...

Ok the Reverb effect i understand what your saying and have done alot of reserach on that effect that you saying using the reverb.. but the only thing is that the sound t hat is in the background (music or ambient sound) will have reverb on it to make that sound like the deep space ..

the main sound that is supposed to be moving i have tried the reverb idea the only problem is that i cant seem to make the sound in the middle.. i meanwiht he reverb on it it sounds to much blawsey.. i mean it just seems to blend wiht the background and then the whole sound is lost.. but maybe THAT IS what I want.. as you say Decreasing the reberb as the sound gets louder SHOULD put the sound SMAK in yrou face!.. heheh .... so maybe i can try experimenting with doing that!

Also with the compression.. the spx90 is only allow one effect at a time.. from what i have learned about this thing so adding the compression and then reverb.. i i would have to litterally record the comrpession first on to the tascam.. (no dry singal) then add the reverb effect As i am doign the final mix.. thats the ONLY way i can see it being done.. if i was to use the compression too.. so that IS ANOTHER idea.. too!..

hey man thanx for the tidbits.. :o) .. I think you acutally made me realize that This IS what i am looking for! thos could actually be what i hear in my head!.. i will play around with it!

What Chris said might very well work to get the sound from far away right up to your face but you'll never get the sound to go by you without mixing in surround.

Exactly! :o)

thats why i need to give it the "illusion" that it is going by you using the left and right!!.. but yeah i think that the idea with the compression also may do the trick along WITH the reverb idea!

Dog

feeling good about myself...

I took a totally wild guess, based on what I know about the use of effects and what not. As I say, I had not ever tried it. I figure if Sennheiser (who knows his stuff) didn't shoot my theory down, then I must be on the right track too! :D

DogRox - let me know how it works or not, eh?

Chris

What you're describing is a doplar effect. There's also a pitch change associated with the effect; higher coming at you with the pitch falling down as it passes and goes away. There's a Waves plug in that'll do it.

Chris.... the idea with the reverb kinda dindt work cause when the reberd was low to give the cloer effect it was to dead..i mean no effect and the reverb has to be ther asi it is needs the space behind it at all times..

Tacrat.. the doppler eeffect iwas already thinking that like way way before .. i have played wiht that before, and the effect that does is change pitch.. and thats not rhe effct.. cause if your hearing talking goign by you the pitche doesnt change as far as a mans voice.. getting deeper sto sound lieka demon.. thats what the doppler effect is doing .. and thats not right.. the voice HAS to stay in the same pitch for it to sould like the same person all the way through..... yeah the doppler makes it sound liekthe guy is morphing into a demon before your eyes! hehe

Ok here is the way i think will work to give the illusion on what i am thinking.. using chris ide wiht compression.. i like that idea.. but also take the effect of a wah wah pedel.. how it gos like a low frewuence more or less to a high frequence.. (not changing thepitch cause that would be the voice).. but the frequncey.. as you hear it in the distance the volume is lower.. and the high ends are cut off.. so to give the illusion of closing in.. you increas the high end as thoe a wah wah pedal would pushing down all the way.. then going back up top cut the high end as the volume goes down to give it the illusion as it goes back off again!.. so in a hence.. Being this isnt surround sound as sennheiser there is no other way to get it unless you DO have surround sound..

so in all what you hear really is the sound gettinglouder and crisper (sorta speak) then softens back down again.. .. i tired that.. and that seems to be the best way to get the illusion of moving.. past your ears!..

Oh what also helps.. is that the sound is a STERO sound but just before it builds up it is like the same exact sound in both channels.. so basically a mono sound... then as it gets lourder and the tone increases.. the sound itslef widesns the stereo panning there.. then as it goes lower in voloume and then the tone is decresased.. the stereo pan is backing itself off to single sound!..

Whish ALSO enhances the efect of it going right by your ears.. as though you were smak dab in the middle ofit... :o)

so actually with chris's idea wiht compression.... i enhanced it more using like a wah effect.. and also workign wiht volume.... and i think i have it!!.. :o)

i still have one more problem tho regarding this peice.. i need an example of a sound effect or something.. that was used during like in a movie or tv show that i remeber seeing when i was a kid.. i am looking to kinda get that same effect but i cant find the blasted thing to get the ideas from.. it is like findin a needle in the haystack hehehe!.. anyhow.. thats NOT important now. thats another problem i have to figure out!!!

anyhow thanx for all the help and ideas tho!!

cheerz
dog :)

Hye middleman.. yeah i just checked them out on that site.. thats seems like a kewl little package!

But for my intense and purposes i really wanna ry to stay away fomr processing on the computer since my computer is slow and every time i edit or process wavs.. i get all sorts of static on it. I think it has alot to do wiht my sound card and the main processor!!

But i was experimenting last night with the tascam.. and of course i use headphones when i mix cause i do not have a power amp and monitors set up.. due tot he fact i live in an apartment complex and the walls are thin. ;)

But after mixing it to a two track deck.. first i added comrpession to my voice and tried to increase to give that feeling of moving .. well that ddint really work as well as i thought.. so then i as i recorded it again.. i just went wiht the hi end freq knob and turned that UP as i was speaking ..then slowely backing it back down that seems to give the best illusion.. then during the mixdown to the main 2 deck.. i slowly increased the volume fader on the speech track.. and then right at the time when you hear the tone as it highest freq... the volume fader would be all the way to the desired max.. then i would atart backing the volume fader back off as you hear the recorded speeh lose its high end freq.

What added to the effect was that after i tried the compression trick.. and then went and redid it wiht the way i just described above.. i used another effect on the SPX-90.. that gave the enhance of space between the left and right.. kinda like a simple reverb that was a stereo effect. and well when the volume was low and the hi freq was down.. the stereo reverb effect was not that noticable but yet still noticable with the sound .. but then as the volume fader increased at the same time the speech hi freq went up.. that actually enhanced the reverb stereo effect and then the sound actually had the feeling of distance left and right in the head phones ..

Iam like WAYYYYYYYY KEWLLLLLLLLLL!!.. this really freaked me out when i heard that!.. :D

NOW the thing is how will that all sound wiht the music or amibeince sound that is goign to be going on in the back ground through all this?!?! oh man !!.. thats where i can see is also going to take some playing around where so as the background wont over power the speeches! and or vice versa!

well that will be chapter two :) hehe!
thanx for everything you guys!.. i really glad i signed on tot his forum!

cheerz
dog

Back