Need to suppress ONE guitar note from a karaoke track!

YanKleber

Retired
Hi!

I am going to overdub a karaoke track where I will replace either the vocals as well the original guitar solos with my own guitar interpretation.
This is not a professional task, just a hobby, but I would like to make a minimally decent job.

The track in this case is 'Separate ways' from Journey.

I found a very usable karaoke (vocal reduced) track on Youtube and managed to remove the guitar parts by cutting and gluing parts around. The final version can download from my Google Drive here: sepways.mp3 - Google Drive

OK, there is a particular part of the track that I couldn't resolve when the guitarist plays and sustains an irritating OUT-OF-TUNE note for over 3 seconds and I am anticipating that even overdubbing it with my play it won't be enough to hide it. I tried to use Audacity to remove this note but couldn't achieve any result.

Someone would be able to help me with it?

The nasty note starts on 3:48 and goes almost until 3:52.

Thanks!

I am pretty sure you can get a trial of "Isotope" that should have the tools you need. Failing that MAGIX have 30 day trials and I bet Sound Forge editor will have something to help and don't forget Reaper that can host most any kind of plug in.

Dave.

If you can isolate it, could you make a copy and mix it in with phase reversed to cancel out the original? Never tried it, just a thought.

Reaper has built in spectral editing too. There are other things out there like it, but if you pull it up in something like that, you should be able to see the note pretty clearly and essentially just paint it out. It'll probably have some harmonics that might be harder to deal with, and the whole process is prone to generating artifacts, but it might work well enough.

I tried some of the suggestions but they didn't work or seemed to be too much complicated. Anyway along the process it came to my mind an idea that may worth a try though.

Since it's just a long and sustained single guitar note I imagined that if I play (and record) the very same note alone and then invert the phase of its track it may cancel (maybe not totally but considerably) the undesired note.

Thank you for all valuable tips!

:)

Last edited:
Back