Need Source for Monitor One Passive Tweeters

Charles Bullock

Hello,

I managed to do a stupid thing and blew out both of the tweeters on my Alesis Monitor One Mk2s.

I'm very happy with the monitors (it was my own dumb fault for trying to use them where they shouldn't have been used) and would like to find a source for the tweeters. Googling has only produced useless garbage links to Ebay.

Is there anyone reputable selling replacement tweeters for the Alesis? Or would I simply be better off buying a new pair? Or should I be looking at some other problem? Right now it seems that the woofers are doing fine, but I have no treble. Is the problem possibly somewhere else? To make a long story short, I tried to use the monitors as PA speakers and well, I sure found out that you can't...

I don't want to get into a discussion of what's better, brandwise. I am very happy with the monitor ones.

Thanks to all who can help out.

Lawrence Bullock

I wonder if tweeters on passive are the same as on active? I could not find info to make sure... they look the same.
couple links:
at SamAsh
at orange county parts
Maybe try to 1-800 them and ask to make sure, hopefully to get on the phone with somebody who knows well parts specifics.

good luck

A couple of years ago I got some loud feedback through my monitor one mk11s and thought I had blown the tweeters. At the time Numark Industries of North Kingstown, RI (401) 295-9000 was handling Alesis support and parts. I was able to get two replacements for about $40 each. After I put them in I still had no high end. Turns out I had blown the crossovers which they did not sell. I ended up fixing the crossovers by replacing a blown capacitor in each one. I can't remember which one it was but there are only three or four in each crossover. 6 months later I got some more feedback and again blew one of the crossovers. Again the same capacitor had blown. I would check out the crossovers first. They seem to act as fuses to protect the tweeters. It will cost you a couple of bucks for the capacitors. Hope this helps

you should pop in a fuse before the speaker.
in the DIY thread theres some info.for this cheap project...much cheaper than crossovers and speakers.

Thanks for the info about the crossovers. I was fearing that. I was hoping it would be a simple "replace the tweeter" repair, but when it comes to capacitors and such, well, I'm a wimp. But thanks, because I think you may be right as I started experiencing the problem after a quick transient feedback burped out the other night.

The crossovers are under the speaker inputs in the back aren't they? Just unscrew the cover and look I guess. Where is the flipping capacitor and how do I get them?

Wow. A lot of questions. Hope someone has the time.

cheers

Lawrence

My mistake saying it was the capacitor that was blown in the crossover. My memory was fading in the wee hours last night. I looked into it after your last post. It was the resistor labelled 5w 3.3 ohm that blew. It was a rectangular box shaped white colored resistor on my crossovers. It is on a simple circuit board attached to the back side of the speaker jacks. Unscew the board from the jacks, heat up the underside of the board where the resistor leads connect to the board with a soldering iron and pull out the bad resistor and replace it with a new one. I pretty sure that will fix your problem and only cost you a few dollars. Its worth a shot, good luck

Thanks for the new info. Glad I saw it before I started screwing around with the caps. Any info on where I can get replacement resistors? I'll look around on the net, but if you've got a source...

cheers

Lawrence

I found (after much searching) a source for the resistors. Hope that's what it is, but hey, it's cheaper to do this research and testing than to shell out another 200.00 bucks for a new pair of speakers. Besides, there's something in me that says it's a waste of the planet's resources to automatically chuck something when all it needs is a part or two.

Thanks again for your advice, info. If it's not the resistors, I won't hold you responsible (chuckle.)

cheers

Lawrence

Have you actually tested to see that the tweeters are blown? Most likely that actually is what the problem is. In those cheap passive speaker designs, the tweeter is prone to blowing long before any resistors or capacitors. Also, I wouldn't be changing any of that stuff unless first you know how to do fine electronis soldering without melting a trace, and second, you know for certain that you are replacing the parts with a part of the same values. The first thing I would do is check the tweeter for continuity. If the continuity is broken (+ and - ar open on the tweeter) than most likely you just need new tweeters. If you start screwing with the crossover and such there is a good chance that you will need more than just tweeters when you are done.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a friend who is much more proficient in electronics repair than I who can test the resistors and the tweeters. Myself, I would not touch my own speakers without a better understanding of soldering and the like. I agree that doing repair work when you're clueless is asking for trouble.

Thanks again.

Lawrence

Just a followup to thank the great help I got here. It WAS just the resistor. The Monitor Ones are up and running again and I'm only out for the repair work, which was considerably less than a new pair.

Thanks!

LB

Back