Need Helping Picking Out A New Sub

MERC

I recently upgraded my KRK Rockit 8's with a pair of KRK V8's. I already have a KRK RP10 sub but it's not cutting it with my new V8's. So now, i'm thinking I wanna get a new sub and i'm wondering if I should stay with KRK and buy the V12 sub or get a Tannoy TS12. I think i would rather stay with all KRKs but the V12 is $699 and the Tannoy TS12 is $599 but it's a more powerful sub. From reviews i've seen, Tannoy has a good rep for monitors so i'm wondering why it's $100 cheaper but more powerful sub. Let me know what you guys think and maybe clear some stuff up for me that i should be concerned with. Here are the links to both. Thanks!

http://www.proaudiosolutions.com/product-p/krk-v12s.htm
http://www.proaudiosolutions.com/product-p/tannoy-ts12.htm

Tannoy does have a good reputation, but that sub was not designed specifically for studio use. That certainly does not make it unusable, but maybe something to consider. Also, I beleive that the Tannoy is down firing which a lot of engineers do not like. Have you considered adding another RP10 sub? That should make a pretty serious difference:)

Tannoy does have a good reputation, but that sub was not designed specifically for studio use. That certainly does not make it unusable, but maybe something to consider. Also, I beleive that the Tannoy is down firing which a lot of engineers do not like. Have you considered adding another RP10 sub? That should make a pretty serious difference:)

Really? So how would my hook up be? RIght now, i have the v8's going into sub via left right inputs.

First, shouldn't your signal go to the sub and then from the sub to the V8's? If you add a sub you should run your left out to the left sub, and from the left sub out to the left V8. Same structure for the right sub. Also make sure you set a good crossover point between the sub and the v8's. Use the sub to take a little heat off the v8's by crossing the system over at about 80. From there maybe roll that point down a little and note the differences. It will take a little experimenting to find the right balance for you and your room. If you currently are running to the tops before the sub, try switching to the more standard method before deciding that the sub is not enough. Even an RP10 should be able to keep up ok with a decent output level in a room where the V8's are properly fitted.

Back