Need help getting me volumes right.

A White Rebel

Hello,

I record rap. I have a hard time knowing if my voice will be heard on most devices... I don't have monitors to tell :(

Any advice on how to know that my volume is high enough on my voice? When I do get monitors in December for my B-day, do they really save mixes? I just would like some tips on how to get volumes right with or without monitors!

Thanks!

How are you listening now - headphones?

To see how your mixes translate on other systems, export to WAV or MP3, burn a disc or load up the file on a USB drive, etc, and play the song on other sytems.

Good monitors in an acoustically-treated room will let you create mixes that sound the same on different systems, with experience. In an untreated room, its still a crapshoot.

this or reference tracks should do the job i guess?
Yeah the use of reference tracks is extremely important. Just pull in some songs in a similiar style from your CD collection into your DAW and flip from them to your mix while listening to the relative levels in each mix. You don't have to be exact but it will put you in the ball park. Then burn a cd and reference on other systems.

Back