Need help creating crescendo vocal effect

JJBreeze

I mix music for my band, usually big, loud hard rock/metal mixes with slightly poppy vocals. For one part of a song, I'm trying to achieve an effect similar to 3:45 in this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwtQxD2eI5g&index=9&list=PL0A34513D131C392D
How do I get this effect? I've tried copying and reversing the sample and placing it to the left of the normal vocals, then adding heavy reverb to the reversed section, but I've had no success.
I'm currently using Reaper but I know terminology from Pro Tools, Cubase, etc. so if anyone has any ideas that'd be great.

Reverse the original vocal track, create a send to a new track and apply reverb to the receive track. Set the reverb for 100% wet and record just the reverb on the new track. Now reverse your vocal again (it should now be playing as recorded) and reverse the recorded reverb track. Doing this will give you that reverse reverb effect that you hear in that song.

Reverse the original vocal track, create a send to a new track and apply reverb to the receive track. Set the reverb for 100% wet and record just the reverb on the new track. Now reverse your vocal again (it should now be playing as recorded) and reverse the recorded reverb track. Doing this will give you that reverse reverb effect that you hear in that song.
Thank you! I'll try that when I get back into the studio.

Let me know how it goes. You'll have to mess around with reverb times and all of that in order to make it musical but that shouldn't be tough.

Some reverbs have "pre-reverb" setting that can do something similar. It probably wouldn't be quite as intense though.

You can also send to an aux that has a reverb on it pre-fader and just fade the dry track in quickly.

Back