Need Advice Mixing Rap Vocals

ttg_krow

I have this song that I recorded. When I mixed it, everything sounded fine until I listened to it on my iPhone. I dont like how it sound. I dont know to explain what I hear. I just want yall to hear the song and tell me where i went wrong with mixing. For mastering, I Slapped Izotope Ozone 7 onto It and tweaked the settings. On the hook I hear to much low end. I eq the vocals and did a high pass filter around 150 hz. If y'all can take a listen on an iPhone, you'll hear what I'm talking about.

I have this song that I recorded. When I mixed it, everything sounded fine until I listened to it on my iPhone. I dont like how it sound. I dont know to explain what I hear. I just want yall to hear the song and tell me where i went wrong with mixing. For mastering, I Slapped Izotope Ozone 7 onto It and tweaked the settings. On the hook I hear to much low end. I eq the vocals and did a high pass filter around 150 hz. If y'all can take a listen on an iPhone, you'll hear what I'm talking about.
As soon as I see "I'm having problems with...(anything)" and "Ozone 7" in the same post, the first thing I would suggest is to see how it sounds without Ozone and go from there.

I've never seen a plug that can do so much damage with just a few clicks.

As for the rest, it's hard to hear anything unless you provide a link to the mix. Preferably without Ozone...

Dude. You have to post a copy of it. You're gonna get shit meaningless advice if you expect everyone to guess what might or might not be wrong with your mix.

And as massive mastering said, leave the mix bus processing off.

I wanna just reinforce posting the song without the Ozone 7. I know you have to have a certain amount of posts to put up a link. Not sure how to get around that.

I wanna just reinforce posting the song without the Ozone 7. I know you have to have a certain amount of posts to put up a link. Not sure how to get around that.

If the incessant spam is anything to go by, there's no limit any more.
ttg - You can upload mp3s directly to your post, or use a service like soundcloud.

Your vocal is off pitch at the beginning....and IMO, you should tone down the use of that autotune chirp effect.
First...it's already old news....second, you use it on EVERY word. It's more effective if you toss it in now and then, not constantly.

There are too many issues with that vocal to name them all. The combination of problems going on here has to do with not understanding basic techniques.

Start by going back and watching some basic videos on EQ, compression, and parallel processing. And watch anything *OTHER THAN* videos from rap studios or self proclaimed beat makers.

I'm not familiar with the novice end of the videos. I have my interns train off some of the groove 3 videos, but they're more for DAW and plugin reference than for technique. Basic youtube stuff is good...maybe search 'how compressors work' or 'compressor tutorial', but again I'll advise you to stay away from instructional videos made by Rap/hiphop/rnb producers, mixers or whatever the hell they call themselves.

Okay. I Have Done Other Songs, But This Is The Only One That Sounds Weird. It Might Be The Proximity Problem. I Tried To EQ The Problem, But Its Still There. I Might Just Have To Record It Over.

Back