Near field monitors tone setting help.

Bassmusic808

Hello. Tried a brief search but could not find exactly what I was looking for..

When mixing/mastering a song, how should the tone setting on your monitors be set? I'm using some old speakers that just have a tone knob that can adjust bass and treble. Should it it set right in the middle??

It seems that whenever I think I have a song sounding just right, it sounds too bass heavy in most other CD players.. So, maybe I should set it my monitors more toward the bass end, that way I'll eq it out..??

OR.. What I did recently was play a real CD through my monitors and then tried to match that tone with my song. Is that a better way to do it? Did I just answer my own question.. hmm.. :confused:

The answer is yes, you just answered your own question. It's best to not EQ your mixing monitors, cause you'll just end up introducing more variations into your mix. Things are always gonna sound different on different systems, so it's best to match it to a good source... and then check your mix on a bunch of different systems.

if your mixes are bass heavy, increasing the bass on your system will make them less bass heavy. right? try it..if it gets better, good, if it gets worse, go back.

Back