[SOLVED] Are my monitors resonating?

I know I just posted a question on another subject (thanks for the helpful replies) and maybe I should be saving my tokens but here goes another...
I just moved and I've been setting up the studio, trying to get the room as flat as I can and I was playing a 'bass test' wav file thru my krk rocket 8 monitors and noticed something... As the track went up the frequency range, of course it started quiet around 20 hz, which I expected, but as it moved up around Idk, like 90 hz, there was this rattling sound, then it went away as the tone went up.... I've heard about Mic and speaker resonance, is this what this is? If so what can I do about it without opening up the speaker enclosure. I have my speakers de coupled from my desk.

Explain how you are 'decoupled' from your desk. Mine are completely separate from mine and will still have a stack of Cd's or something vibrate when I get sloppy.

But most likely there is a peak in your room at that frequency either way. Also that is the frequency where KRK 8's are hyped.

Explain how you are 'decoupled' from your desk. Mine are completely separate from mine and will still have a stack of Cd's or something vibrate when I get sloppy.

But most likely there is a peak in your room at that frequency either way. Also that is the frequency where KRK 8's are hyped.

I mean I have those dense foam pad things underneath, in between the bottom of the speakers and the desk. What do u mean about the stack of cd's vibrating when u get sloppy?

I mean I have those dense foam pad things underneath, in between the bottom of the speakers and the desk. What do u mean about the stack of cd's vibrating when u get sloppy?

My monitors are on a completely separate structure from my desk. Also on the Auralex Mopads. But if I get lazy/sloppy and leave things on that structure, I get vibrations. Not the good kind.

It is important to know what your desk is... Post a pic man. It may be as simple as something vibrating on the desk...

But with my personal experience with your KRK 8's, you are going to need more than de-coupling to learn your way with them. Just my opinion tho. Don't take it as the holy grail...

Run the test one speaker at a time, that will eliminate a faulty monitor.
The other issue is level. As you say, you cannot hear 20Hz (ANYONE here got a room that big or monitors THAT good?!) but even a 90Hz your hearing is well down on 1kHz and the temptation is to crank things and small woofers can soon run out of steam and start to rattle.

FIRST JOB! Get those speaker calibrated to 83dB or so THEN run the rattle test well below that. Oh! And peeps have been known to burn out tweeters, same problem, pure tones never seem 'that' loud and the EL curves don't help!

Get a 'C' weighted SPL meter PDQ. $20 should buy something perfectly adequate.

Dave.

I would love to have a room without a resonance peak, mine is somewhere around F2. I have an outboard eq on those monitors so I don't make my teeth ache. I do have a set of big speakers in the tracking/live area that aren't in the same room for the times when I get annoyed with the near fields though. I also recommend spl meter.

Yeah.. 4140, did you ever figure it out?

Yeah, turns out it was something on my desk vibrating. Took a while to find it, heh. Put my hand on everything one by one till I discovered it was a picture frame, thank God it's not my speakers. Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm really digging this forum, people actually are eager to help here

Cool, good to have a question and a conclusion.

Speaking of which, I would have sworn I saw a thread 'Solved' title tag/editor button here on the forum? But can't find it now(?

Speaking of which, I would have sworn I saw a thread 'Solved' title tag/editor button here on the forum? But can't find it now(?

Great to hear!

Yeah, it at the top when you edit a thread. Not sure how it works for members. But I placed it in there.

:)

Ok, I see it in the thread title now, but still don't -when I go to edit (or reply), even on my own thread for a test.

Yeah, it's a little silly. You have the option of marking [SOLVED] when you create a thread, so I guess that's where you saw it.

Once posted, the option is in 'thread tools' up at the top right, as pictured below.

The word and brackets don't become a part of the title - It's an additional tag.

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 23.18.47.png

Cool I get it now. I assumed and was looking for it to be on a 'new post to the thread (or advanced) page.
And naturally it's not available if you aren't the one who started the thread.
That's a nice feature we should see used more.

Of course, we could always just type " Solved. Thanks" !

BTW, OP: You might like to investigate some means of decoupling the speakers from the desk? Commercial solutions seem to me to be very expensive for what they are! A square of 'pyramid' foam and a thick, heavy tile works as well. If this puts the tweeters well above lug height, turn the speakers upside down.

Dave.

Of course, we could always just type " Solved. Thanks" !

BTW, OP: You might like to investigate some means of decoupling the speakers from the desk? Commercial solutions seem to me to be very expensive for what they are! A square of 'pyramid' foam and a thick, heavy tile works as well. If this puts the tweeters well above lug height, turn the speakers upside down.

Dave.
Thanks. The commercial stuff is essentially just a dense piece of foam right? It makes sense that a couple pieces of acoustic foam would do the same thing. What do u mean by tweeters I'm the lug position? Now that I think about it I think I've seen speakers turned upside down in some studio pics...

Back