My latest mix on low end gear

Tiko

Here's my latest mix. Everything's tracked through an M-Audio Profire 2626. Any feedback/tips would be appreciated!

- Tiko

not bad at all! I think the balance is good, everything sounds right for that genre, it is a well composed and arranged piece of music, superb musicianship as well and very well recorded.

Perhaps my only critique would be the snare drum at times being a bit too dry in the mix, the drums could do with some reverb even if it's just a tiny amount, I think that would take it to the next level, maybe some compression would help tame that snare as well.

It is obvious that the gear you are playing on is not 'low end'. That is really the most important part along with ability to actually play. You got those.

Well done. :)

Your "low end" interface is worth more than my guitar and interface combined. Lets be realistic here :thumbs up:

My biggest advice would be to post this in the MP3 clinic.

The snare was a bit tinny, had some of that St. Anger going on every now and then. The kick could have been heavier.

The playing was wowowowow great from everybody.

One more vote for the snare drum. It just lacked meat. Not the kind of sound I would expect from this sort of music. I would be aiming for a deeper, darker sound. Kick drum could probably get a little more thump, but it wouldn't bother me if it stayed the way it is.

Playing is all stellar, obviously.

Thanks for all the feedback! Snare is what bothers me the most as well. This was more due to mic placement/tuning at the tracking stage. But I did learn a valuable lesson and will do better next time!

- Tiko

Gearslutz has too many elitists that couldn't produce a good mix on a half a million $ setup. Don't get buggered into the "more money is better" trap. It isn't.

Just listened to a few of your tunes on youtube, they all sound fine, actually good enough to give an accurate example of your song writing styles and performance value to any A&R department.

Keep writing & recording your tunes, the more that better, build up your available "publishing" material and keep up the great work. You've got an excellent band unit there. A+

As I started recording in the 1970's with Low End Gear, let me reassure you that nothing nowadays is low end, I should know, I have been to the bottom LOL.

Alan.

Cheers on your hard work guys.
The mix is really good.

I feel that the mixing engineer knows what he's doing, but he's limited on the sound sources.

Maybe get better drum samples, cause the mix is balanced it's just that you can improve the sources :)

But it's REALLY good, congrats!

Cheers on your hard work guys.
The mix is really good.

I feel that the mixing engineer knows what he's doing, but he's limited on the sound sources.

Maybe get better drum samples, cause the mix is balanced it's just that you can improve the sources :)

But it's REALLY good, congrats!

Thanks for the feedback! I do agree, most of the improvement will come from the tracking stage. I don't use drum samples though, and probably wont in the future either.

Once again, thank you everybody for the constructive comments!!

- Tiko

Back