My first mastering experience

MrLip

I recently finished an album for my university. It is a compilation album of 11 songs (+ 1 remix.) I am head of the project and produced 6 songs. I also mixed 8 of 11 songs on the album. This album is 100% home recording. No studio time was used for tracking or mixing. 10 of the songs were done using CWPA 9 and 1 was done on Logic 4.7.

Since we were planning on not only selling this within our university but also outside, I decided to get the album professionally mastered.

I know a producer who has been quite succesful locally and he recommended a place called Planet Media and a certain engineer who works there.

Anyway...

I called the studio and made an appointment (they stressed that once an appointment was made to NOT reschedule.) This took 2 phone calls. The first time we talked they told me to bring the data in AIFF format with consistant sample/bit rates. This was no problem, even though the songs were all done on PCs, we could just convert the files in SoundForge. The second time we talked they asked to bring CD-Audio. This struck me as odd. Isn't CD-Audio prone to errors or quality degradation? Why not use the data files (AIFF)?

The day of mastering, we arrived at the studio and they asked for the audio CDs (there was more than one disk because I brought multiple mixes to chose from.) They then loaded the audio into their Sonic Solutions Mac-based system through a Denon professional CD player. I'm not sure if the audio was resampled or if it was a digital transfer. Later on, I asked the engineer why they don't just use the data files and he said that Sonic only uses it's own file type (using AIFF would require conversion) and that it's easier to just use the CD-Audio.

The studio. The studio was an un-symmetrical room with a pair of nearfield Genelecs (not sure which model but the woofers couldn't have been larger than 6") I was a bit surprised and concerned. I have been in a mastering studio before and this was not the type of setup I was expecting. I was expecting midfield monitors with huge woofers in a symmetrical room.

Once the Audio was loaded into Sonic, the engineer came in (who wasn't very friendly at first) and started going through the tracks. He picked one to start on, put his finger on a fader, and just about killed us all! This guy monitors so damn loud I could hardly bare to be in the room!! And he just sat there as if it were normal.

As time went on things loosened up a bit and he was more conversational. He explained that the reason he monitored so loud was so that he could hear everything, and at low volumes you won't be able to hear certain things that need to be fixed.

As far as I could see, he was only using 2 things in this mastering process. 1 was an EQ on the computer (Sonic) and the other was a TC "Finalizer" which is basically a fancy dynamics processor (compression, expander, deesser, etc).

I did not dither any of the tracks during the mixing phase. I told him this and he said that dither wasn't really that important and I shouldn't worry about it. (Not important???) As far as I know he did not dither during mastering, or at least I didn't see him adjusting any dither settings or anything like that. But it could just be that he did it while I was outside resting my ears! (He monitors SO DAMN LOUD!)

Just to add, he wasn't monitoring superloud the whole time, after blasting each song and setting his processor he would turn it down (to check I assume.) During the whole process he did not stop to rest his ears (or for any other reason) at all.

Once he went thru every track with his EQ and TC Finalizer we began to do the fade ins and outs. I am a little disappointed with the fade outs. I just don't like the curves. I asked him to increase/decrease the curve setting, but I still couldn't get exactly what I wanted. Oh well, what could I do? Maybe next time I'll just do the fades myself in WaveLab.

Then we set the pause time between each track. I was saying 2 seconds but the engineer and a friend of mine who was there argued that 3 was standard. So I went with 3. (ACTUALLY, I would have preferred to do it according to each track, meaning, vary it depending on what sounds best for each transition, but no one who was with me seemed to have the patience for that.)

When it was all done, they wrote the audio to a Quantegy CD-R. The process took 23 minutes (the total playtime for the CD is 45.45, so I assume they wrote at 2x) We made 3 copies.

When the first disc was done, we listened to it. Sounded pretty OK to us. There were a couple parts that seemed a little overcompressed to me but there wasn't anything seriously wrong.

We paid the bill, got a name card, and left.

When I got back home....

I lisented to the CD on my own system. Oh man, I started getting worried. Way overcompressed were many of the tracks. 1 track in particular really bothered me. It sounds like he used a multiband expander on the high frequencies and now it sounds really unnatural and 'choppy' to me. All the reverb is gone and the snare and hihat sound very 'staccato' (I know you can't really use that word with percussion.) It lacks smoothness and at one part, an open high hat 'drops out' and sounds 'broken up'. For instance, the original goes 'tssssssss' and after mastering, it goes 'tsss-ss-ss--ss-"

I started freaking out. I called one of the guys who had a copy of the master and asked him to listen to it. He said it was OK. Maybe it's just me, but I can't STAND to listen to it. It really bothers me. But the other guys say it's OK. I didn't notice it until I got home.

In the studio the tracks sounded of equal volume but at home a couple of the tracks seem a bit quiet compared to other tracks. No one else was complaining though, so the master has already been sent to the CD copier.

I wish I could post some examples up somewhere but I don't have anywhere to upload to.

People tell me that I probably feel this way since I'm the one who produced most of the tracks and mixed them as well, so I'm just not used to hearing them this way. But some of it really bothers me! I'm the only 'engineer' in the group. Others are musicians but have no experience mixing or anything of the sort. I was tempted to call the studio back and ask to go back and fix things, but everyone else was OK with what we had. So I didn't.

Does mastering usually affect the tracks this dramatically? Is this something that engineers often experience? Should I trust my own judgement or that of the mastering engineer and the others?

Oh well, that is an account of my first experience mastering and what is on my mind now that it's done.

you should have grabed your CDs and ran out. CD Audio? this is only 16 bits and this means you have either dithered, which you said you didn't, truncated, or the songs which were originally mixed at 16/44. All of these are BAD. A mastering house should take 24 bit files in either 44 or 48kHz since sample rate converters and bit depth converters aren't the dog's bollocks in home recording software. Over compression is what radio stations should do, this guy sounds pretty lame.

That's a shame... sounds like they tacked-on "mastering" as a service they offer, without any real concept of what that actually means..........

Bruce

Lip - Unfortunately, you found a guy who doesn't seem to practice the art of mastering. There are a few things you can do to prevent this in the future.

1. Check out some before and after mastering examples (not a guarantee of professionalism, but a good start).

2. See if you can talk with another client of his that he hasn't hand picked.

3. Insist on listening on two or three systems including a boom box at the mastering house. You should also check out at least one mix in your car system if possible.

4. If you get a bad vibe at all from him, don't work with him (unless it's someone in the Bob Ludwig category - then shut up and smile). It's not as important a relationship as client-engineer/producer, but it is still important.

5. Don't stay in the room while he tweaks. Enter near the end when you can be the most objective. Anything sounds good loud, and you can also get accustomed to anything - even if it doesn't sound right. (Ever listen to your alarm clock for so long that it starts to sound like a real radio?)

I know none of this helps now, but maybe it can do some good in the future.

If finances and time allow, I would eat this experience and have it done over by someone that you can trust. If this project is important, you only get one chance to impress.

Ken Rutkowski
Outer Limit Recording Studio

Hi Lip,

thanx for your great story, I think it can be helpful for a lot of us and it shows that there are lots of guys who think they control the art of mastering just because they have the equipment.

I am learning every day about recording and mastering, and I am no expert and still have a lot of work to do but even I find some peices of your story unacceptable.

The fact that he wants an audio Cd is quiet strange, that's not a way to work, just like Kristian said. Oh yeah, and Kristian, what does truncated mean?(At the risk of being called an idiot, but when you don't ask, you'll never know:-)).

The fact that the engineer tells you that he monitors loud to hear everything is just bullshit, and that proves he hasn't got much knowledge at all about mastering. You don't monitor at a low volume, but when it's too loud you just can NOT here all the subtile stuff that needs to change. And I also thought that you can only master decent when you keep your hands of the volume button: how else can you compare volumes between songs? But everybody may correct me on this one.

The fact that the engineer wasn't very friendly should also ring a bell. I often notice guys who don't know what they are dealing with are the greatest pricks: they try to cover their lack of knowledge by being the prick. Especially when dealing with people who doesn't have a reputation this theory often seems sad but true. Btw, you will also feel better yourself if your relationship with the engineer is quite OK.

Also kristian is right when he says oversompression is for radio stations. A compressor that is badly used is easily to hear. And don't bother if others say it's ok, and they claim that you are the problem instead of them. When you here that there is something wrong, then there is something wrong. You paid this guy and he obviously did a lousy job. And if the others don't here it, it's their problem. You want a product that's as good as can be.

that's my opinion..

greetingz

Brett

Thanks for all the responses.

No one made any comments on the equipment, does that mean that it's normal to monitor on little Genelecs for mastering?

Can anyone with more experience tell us how it should be done?

A high-end mastering facility will have many, many different systems on which to monitor, from tiny Auratones to $20,000 systems as big as a damn house. This is so that mixes can be tested in as many different listening conditions as possible. The lesser mastering facilities, of course, will have less equipment overall, and less speaker systems.

What ends up mattering most, in my opinion, is what it will sound like to the average consumer, so my final mastering checks are to listen on a pair of normal home $800 JBLs in the studio, on the Infinitys in my living room, and in a car in which I'm accustomed to listening.

Ken Rutkowski

basically...if this was me, and i walked into this mastering studio and saw him using a TC finaliser for compression, id walk straight out.

it sounds awful. i hate those units! they dont seem to deliever a proffesional sound. finalisers are really aimed at the project studios and whatever, not pro mastering houses.

as for pause times, they should have been adjusted according to what the engineer thought. you dont just set a standard pause time for thewhole album...well, not if you want the album to flow properly. the album should have been listened through from start to end, and then adjustments should have been made like that. some tracks may have needed a longer pause, where some may have needed shorter pauses. did this guy arrange your tracklistening at all to a good order?

as for mastering from CD-audio...hmmmph! definitely should have been 24bit. did he use the one eq and one compressor on the whole album? he didn't hear the need to change to anything else? fair enough if he didin't, but it sounds as if he didin't have the equipment to use different compressors/eq's.

hmmphh! how much did you pay? and who is this guy?!

If you find a winner stick with it!

I have done quite a few album projects, and paid the price for "Professional" mastering a few times. All I can say is that sometimes it's really not worth it, if the facillity and engineer are not all that great.

If you do find a mastering house that does a great job for you, stick with it and develop a long term relationship. Then you will have some standard to go by, and achieve consistent results.

I hear ya about the atitude of some of these guys! There are some grumpy old men who don't even seem to enjoy any type of music at all, and they are supposed to "Improve your mix?"

Dom Franco

:rolleyes:

Kendog said:
A high-end mastering facility will have many, many different systems on which to monitor, from tiny Auratones to $20,000 systems as big as a damn house. This is so that mixes can be tested in as many different listening conditions as possible. The lesser mastering facilities, of course, will have less equipment overall, and less speaker systems.

What ends up mattering most, in my opinion, is what it will sound like to the average consumer, so my final mastering checks are to listen on a pair of normal home $800 JBLs in the studio, on the Infinitys in my living room, and in a car in which I'm accustomed to listening.

Ken Rutkowski

sometimes, a mastering house will have an extra set of speakers, but most of the best houses have only one high quality set of speakers in a treated room so that you have the most resolved and accurate sound possible.

I can imagine that putting up nearfields would cause imaging problems on the mains

Thats a shame...I can't say it doesn't happen. It happening more often these days it seems.

Rule Number one when dealing with a ME you haven't heard before: Listen to previous material

Rule Number two: Always take the ref disk home and play it on several players in different environments.

Rule Number three: Never pay for the work until you have done rules one and two. Most ME's with good reputation will offer a ref disk, but don't take the ref disk to a duplicator without paying.

BBS and LWS both seem to recognize that this guy got his mastering experience from reading the manual that came with the TCE Finalizer. Though the Sonic station isn't cheap, it may not have been used properly or to your benefit.
I go back and talk to the guy and tell him you weren't really happy with it, explain why and whatevers to him. Maybe the guy was an intern doing it fast to avoid his boss catching him? The fact your not happy is a total shame.

newest user...
even if it was an intern, do you think a proper mastering house uses a TC Finaliser???! those things are great when you're sending the dat to the record company and you want to give them a rough idea of the end product, but to use it on the actaul mastering part is not something pay someone to do.

a good mastering engineer will let you take the disc home, spend a day with it and let him know if you heard any problems. the engineer will probably do this aswell, just to check that the album plays through from start to end nicely and smootly.

if he's using sonic solutions, changing anything shouldn't be a problem at all.

did this guy listen to all the mixes you made?
id go and demand you had it done again, or a refund. if he's killed it, tell him. he should understand that it only takes one customer to be unsatisfied to ruin his business.

This proves that all it takes to be a 'pro' is to buy some equipment and rent some office space. This should be good news for aspiring newbies and a warning for anybody who trust's others just because they have some gear and a business card.

LongWaveStudio said:
newest user...
even if it was an intern, do you think a proper mastering house uses a TC Finaliser???!

Hey, I didn't mean to scare ya ;) I never meant to imply anything like that at all. Yikes... I tried not to use TC Finalizer and Mastering house in the same sentence. I have been in studios that have offered "mastering services" on the side with nothing other than a Aphex Aural Exciter. Hows that for scary! But nothing beats the T-Racks Screen Saver!

lol... mastering house and finalizers in the same sentence... ;)

TexRoadkill said:
This proves that all it takes to be a 'pro' is to buy some equipment and rent some office space. This should be good news for aspiring newbies and a warning for anybody who trust's others just because they have some gear and a business card.
Very, very true!

TexRoadkill said:

Jeesh...thats scary! Yeah, Ive heard of guyz buying Mackie desks and a business card and pawning themselves off as pro's!

Ouch! Sorrry Bruce...I couldn't resist :D

The Devils advocate role is never easy! ;)

T-Racks..Get Your T-Racks...

Back