Multiple speaker setups for Mixing

twonky

Allright guys and Dolls, I need your brains again,

I am currently using a pair of Tannoy Reveals w/ an RA-100 amp. It like the set ok enough, however I would like to also use a pair of pioneer stereo speakers (Big Muthas, old school, like 12" woofers, I love the way they sound) to check mixes occasionaly.

Would it be a good or bad idea to use the Ra-100 to power both simultainiously and use some kind of speaker swithching thingy to select the pair I want to use.

Is this idea:

A. Bad for the speakers
B. Bad for the amp.
C. Bad for me to check mixes on.
D. All of the obove
E. Crabcakes

Thanks,
Twonky

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Just get yourself some type of speaker switch thingy or build one if you're up to the task.

It's a great idea to check your mixes on anything and everything you can, to make sure they translate well to other systems.

I use a dual setup. I run my stereo outs to the RA-100 to a pair of Event 20/20's. Then I run the monitor out into a Harmon Kardon amp, and using a RS switcher, I run to 8" Fishers/6"Klipsch/RS Optimus 7's. This gives me the ability to check a mix on several different sets of speakers.

Bob

An update:

I knew I'd seen a good pro quality speaker switch somewhere, so I looked it up (in a Sweetwater catalogue). They're made by ProCo, and I found two models, both under $300US. I'm getting one as soon as I upgrade! Hope this helps.

Bob

I made my own. It's a heavy duty toggle switch set up I use to switch between my monitors. Works like a charm. Even Rat Shack has a decent one for around $30 or so.

I've got two RS switch boxes, and they SAY they're rated for 100 watts(peak/RMS???) but they really don't inspire confidence! I just wonder if it's worth the bread for a good one.

You might as well destroy a shitty one before you spend three hundo on something nice.

xoox

OH.. btw.. I use a radio shack one.. like, $7 or something.. to switch up speakers.

xoxo

Back