Multi-band compressors. How? Where? When?

I feel like I never see anyone talk about multi-band compressors. I've played with a few. I feel like my mix sounds "better" with a multi-band on the master bus, but then I start tweaking it, get intimidated, and ditch it.
Do you use multi-band compressors? When? Where? How?

I bust one out once in a great while when (A) something is so screwed up that nothing else will fix it and (B) I can't get a remix.

I'm sensing a theme .... like you guys are trying to tell me something...
I love multi bands. Use'em... several times a year.
Most often a single band doing dynamic eq fixing things that pop out in places, but doesn't want that eq globally. (That'd be tracks in a mix BTW
What I see the question here is..
... I've played with a few. I feel like my mix sounds "better" with a multi-band on the master bus, but then I start tweaking it, get intimidated, and ditch it.
Do you use multi-band compressors? When? Where? How?
The first thing that pops out is 'it' - this multi faceted thing doing Dog Knows what to your mix, seeming to 'sound better'.
Ponder.

So let's flip the questions around.

'Why' first, what does the track need? Then how. Now you have 'when'. :>)

Last edited:
I heard an MBC used on an acoustic guitar and it sounded great. I tried it once myself and couldn't get decent results.
That's about it.

I personally never use a multi-band compressor on my master buss, because if I'm personally mixing the track, if there are places where I could see using a multi-band compressor, I'll use it on the track that needs it, not the master buss.

When mixing, I rarely use one, but it usually ends up being on things like acoustic guitar and vocals most often, then maybe sometimes on something like overheads and maybe electric guitars. I don't tend to use it on much else, now that I think about it.

If you're wondering when to use it, you have to realize what the multi-band compressor is doing. An easy way to get an idea of this is to manually create a multi-band compressor in a throwaway session.

Basically what you can do is make a new session with just a vocal or acoustic guitar or something. Then, duplicate the track three times (for this example, it's going to be simulating a three-band multi-band compressor).

On one track, setup an EQ with a low pass filter set to say, 200Hz with a steep slope. When I did this in my class a few years ago, we just used the Digi III compressor that comes stock with Pro Tools, which maxes out at 24 dB/oct, but I think steeper slopes for this are supposed to be better to keep phase issues down (someone else correct me if I'm wrong!).

Set a second EQ on one of the other tracks to have a high-pass set to that 200Hz range, and then a low pass set to around 5kHz.

Lastly, set an EQ on the last track with a high-pass set to 5kHz.

You know have your guitar or vocal split into three bands. Now add a compressor to each track, with the threshold all the way up for now so they aren't compressing anything.

Now solo each individual section. You have a low, mid, and high band. If you're using an acoustic guitar, more often than not, my biggest issues have been with poorly recorded acoustics having issues with being boomy in the low end when playing lower strings, but then not being boomy when playing higher. If it's a vocal, the most common way you'll notice a multi-band being used is a de-esser, so you'll probably notice some dynamic issues in the top frequencies above 5kHz!

So now that you've noted these issues, you can apply a compressor to just the low frequencies to even out the issues with the low end on the acoustic guitar. This makes it so that you don't have essentially zero low end when low strings aren't played, but it doesn't get out of hand when the lower ones are played. Conversely, if this is applied to a vocal with harsh esses, I'm assuming you understand how a de-esser works, and this will level out the high frequencies so that those frequencies aren't an issue. If you were to apply static EQ to this vocal, the vocal might sound dull by pulling out too much top end to soften the esses.

This is of course just an exercise to help you more clearly understand how a multi-band works. The frequency ranges were essentially arbitrary in this example. They can be moved around as needed (for example, say it's just the sub frequencies you're having issues with, then you'd move the low pass on the low band down to maybe 80Hz, and then consequently move the high pass on the mid band down to 80Hz as well).

So now that that big bunch of garbage is out of the way, assuming you understand what the multi-band is doing, you're basically just needing to ask yourself if any track/mix has dynamic issues only in a specific frequency band. If so, utilize a multi-band compressor to take care of the issue. If not, then you don't need one.

TL;DR: multi-band compressors are used to fix dynamic issues that are only occurring in a specific frequency range. If you aren't having these issues, then don't use a multi-band compressor.

Reactions: RFR
I don't use them in any way either but they have thier uses.

It was more than a decade ago but I had read that Andy Sneap was using C4 (waves) to tame the 100-250hz area of palm muted guitars (from Andy himself not 2nd hand information).

I messed with this and didn't care for it, but then I also remember that he likes to shove the mic so close to the speaker he has removed the grill cloth on cabinets in order to do it.

I use a multi band compressor quite often on spoken word or sound effects recordings. I use it a lot less on music but won't say never.

The thing with any compressor is that to get the best out of them you can't just use a fixed preset. You have to understand all the adjustments and use them. With a multiband, the amount of adjustment needed is multiplied.

Like any audio tool, multiband compressors have their place but you have to understand how and when to use them.

Multi-bands can be dangerous.
If you don't have a clear cut vision for needing it or really don't know how to go about using it, I'd steer clear because they're a bit complicated and the tendency is to want to tweak the crap out of them.

Used in a broader sense, they're easier to get a handle on, like if you use one band of it to solve an issue, but even then.. easy to screw up.
I think how they were initially marketed gave them a bad rap as a fix all or "like" radio processing.
There are some nice sounding hardware units, but they're not cheap. gl

If I ever use multband compressors at all it's only on a whole mix during mastering, then I only use it very lightly or in other words don't slam it, I just use it for mild gain riding 1 or 2 dB at most.

Alan.

I will occasionally use one to de-esse a vocal track, but never use one on the master channel. A problem on the master channel that requires a MBC should have never gotten that far in the first place.

I will occasionally use one to de-esse a vocal track, but never use one on the master channel. A problem on the master channel that requires a MBC should have never gotten that far in the first place.

I don't always have control over the source material. When I do things like cassette transfers and minor audio restoration there is no multitrack project to go back to.

I don't always have control over the source material. When I do things like cassette transfers and minor audio restoration there is no multitrack project to go back to.

Oh.

OK, I'll give you that one. Good point. I was talking about when I do the tracking and mixing.

Groovy, thanks for all the input!
I think I'd make more use from a single-band compressor. Does that exist, a compressor that will only effect a small frequency range? Like a de-esser, but more variable?
The times I've wanted to use a MBC I think I felt the bands were to too large and not specific enough.

Groovy, thanks for all the input!
I think I'd make more use from a single-band compressor. Does that exist, a compressor that will only effect a small frequency range? Like a de-esser, but more variable?
The times I've wanted to use a MBC I think I felt the bands were to too large and not specific enough.

Yes, a multiband compressor with just one band activated is what you're describing. You can set the bands manually on most MBCs.

I also don't control the tracking, so I use MBC to squash bad frequencies, mostly in vocals and lead guitars. I am an amateur, so I ended up going this way to solve a problem, but I was very insecure about using a MBC this way. Basically, I wanted to compress only the offending frequencies, but as was pointed out, did not want to use EQ to dull the track when the offenses only happened in certain loud areas. This way I could set a peak for the offensive ear piercing sound, and I compress it heavily at the threshold. It worked great for me. I did not use the C4, but instead am using Cakewalk's LP-64 only because I found it so much easier to specify a really narrow band. I don't know if there are subtleties, or reason why using the LP-64 might be bad, but it seems to work well for the problem I had to solve.

Back