MUFFLED Hip Hop VOCALS!!!! WTH!

dvbear

I'm having trouble with a vocal on this track. Unfortunately the instrumental was mixed down already and I cannot get it tracked out without paying the producer major dollars so as of this moment the only thing I can play with are the vocal layers.

The vocal chain is either a Studio Projects C1 (chorus) or an AT4050 (verses) going into a FMR RNP, into a Profire 610.

I think it may be due to the instrumental because other tracks I have worked on with the same vocal chain do not sound as muffled. The downside is I can't really tell the artists to come and record the thing again.

Any help would be appreciated!

lol thank you.

apparently I can't post urls yet....

soundcloud com/k1ngdv/dream-team-show-time-feat-eljay

I guess add a period between the space.

Right...I always forget that limitation about newbie accounts...but that works.

I'll post the link for you:

Dream Team - Show Time (Feat. Eljay) by k1ngdv on Souncloud

I don't hear the vocal as muffled...I think it's about the level balance relative to the backing tracks.
It's always tricky getting a vocal to fit into a premixed track.
Raise the level of the vocal, turn down the backing tracks....and then you might need to do some EQ touching up, and pass everything lightly through a compressor to "glue" it together.
I also think the vocal needs a touch of reverb to bring it in closer to the sound of the backing tracks...though try that after you get the levels balanced but before the comp.

After a second listen...
Actually...the level of the vocal is not that bad once the song gets going. It sound low at the start.
I still don't hear it as "muffled"...it's just about getting the balance, EQ and vibe of the vocal to fit with the premixed backing tracks.

Back