MOTU / Speaker Monitor Problems... I think.

bbundy96

I finally finished construction of my studio and I am in the process of hooking up all the equipment. I had my equipment hooked up before in my old house, and everything worked without a glitch.

The equipment I have wired is:
My computer;
MOTU 24i connected to the PCI-324 card already in the computer;
(2) JBL 6208 Bi-amped monitors plugged into Main Outs 1 & 2 on the back of the 24i using 14 gauge speaker cables..;
Peavey/Cakewalk Studio Mix into my computers SB Live! Drive MIDI In/Out.

All the equipment is plugged into a Belkin power surge strip w/out power conditioning. The electric is on its on circuit separate from the lights and all other appliances. It is a dedicated circuit for my desk. My workstation is a corner desk with the monitor in the corner and one monitor approx. 1.5 feet on either side. I have switched the Headphone Volume knob to control the Main Outs on 1 & 2 by moving the jumper inside of the 24i. The speaker cables are running parallel to the power cables for the monitors to the hole cut-out in the corner of the desk so wires can pass below underneath the desktop.

My problem seems to be that my speaker monitors volume is way up and I can't get it to turn down. I have both PCI Console and CueMix properly installed. On play back, the only way I can control the volume is to lower the volume on the front panel of the 24i (the former headphone volume control). Though, even when I turn the volume down to zero, there is still a noticable buzz and gain type hiss coming from the monitors. Now, I dont remember this going on at all when I had my equipment hooked up at my previous house. So, I dont really know what is going on.

Could it be a dirty electric signal that needs a power conditioner and EMI/RFI filtration? I have tried two sets of speaker cables with the same results. Is my wiring hooked up wrong? Parallel speaker cables and power cords?

If there is any other information that I can provide to give you a better understanding of my problem, just let me know.

Jim
Hazlet, NJ
bbundy96@aol.com

check the computer

look at the coputer's mixer(no the software mixer the one that came with the computer. the one that has controls for line-in and mic-in and 3d balince and all that stuff) look there and see if your monitor output is turned up to high?

that's all that i know.

zeke

Back