MONO or STEREO in live mixing?

Mono.

exept for fattening guitars; stereo delay panned with a delay between 30 and 100 ms.
This will kick some guitar ass when needed.

sometimes, if the band asks for it, I use stereo effects on the main vocals. depends on the band...

There's some pretty good info in this thread. I hope that I'm not going off topic enough to make a big deal about it, but I have a question that surfaced with all the talk about stereo in a live setting.

My former guitar player has a full stack Line 6. He puts one 4x12 on one side of the stage, and the other on the other side. The Flextone II head that he has can send the effects in stereo, causing panning right from the source. What would you do with something like that? Have him set it up so that it plays mono? Or would you balance the sound once the microphones hit the board? Or would you suggest something totally different?

I guess this question would be best suited for those that say mono is the way to go in live gigs. I tend to agree.

With something like that I will sometimes, SOMETIMES, panthem out to 10:00 and 2:00. Not much more.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back