monitors for hip hop music.......or any bass ridden music

DAB

i probably could have found this awnser but with the search feature temporarily disabled i find it difficult so bear with me.

first off i do hip hop type music and like bass kick(808 kick is one of my favs)...i also love synth bass and real bass guitar.....i love heavy basslines!!!

right now my setup is soundcard to mixer,l-r buss to yamaha home stereo reciever.To my reciever i have hooked a pair of sony 3 way speakers with 12 inch woofers,i am not sure what the response ratings are.

now to the questions

1)can i make an accurate mixdown with this setup?(broad question,i know,sorry)

2)what are good monitors for my type of music?

3)can i hook unpowered monitors to my yamaha receiver or will i have to buy a seperate amp?

4)if i can use my yamaha as an amp,how would i hook up.......i see that my mixer has monitor outputs...cables?....which input to my reciever

ive tried mixing down using my sony studio monitor headphones wich are great for listening to while recording vocals but find that when i burn a cd.....what sounded great on the headphones sounds weak on my stereo

please throw some knowledge my way!

1) I think if you know your system well enough, you can get a mix that will translate well to other systems. You may be surprised at what you hear on higher-end systems, though. Some things that are hidden by the flaws in consumer speakers may be very evident on better equipment.
2) I have Event 20/20p and think they kick it in the bass department. Many will agree, the 20/20 series from Event are really good monitors.
3) You need to make sure that the monitors match the ohms and can handle the power of the amp. Or, by getting some powered monitors, you can avoid the consumer amp as well which would be an additional improvement.
4) This one is hard to answer without knowing what mixer you have. Sight unseen, I'd say go from the mixer's monitor outs into the Yamaha amp (or powered monitors) and use the LR buss for the 2 track you mixdown to. I'd use the tape in on the Yamaha.

Hope that helps ... good luck

The Event 20\20 P's dont get the job done on my side of town. Trying to place low freq's on those things is a guessing game. They rock in the mid and high freq's, though.
I recently put together a CD of 8 songs that recorded on my PC... The kick drum sounded wildly different on each song. That wasnt what I was striving for. The kick went from sounding like a subwoofer on one song to sounding like a floor tom on the next to sounding like a dixie cup being tapped with a pencil eraser on the third. I used an 808 kick on one track and it came out sounding ok, but 808 is kind of a no brainer.
I'd say that getting the kickdrum and bass guitar eq'd right takes up the MAJORITY of my mixing time. The Event 20\20's arent for the bass maniacs among us.
Thats just my opinion... I could be wrong. Theyre still good considering the price.

I was very interested in the Tria when I was shopping around, but I couldnt find ANYONE who had ever heard them and I didnt have the nuts to shell out $650 without hearing them...
It seems logical to me that if you were going to listen to music on a system with subs (which will eventually be the case for all of us) you would want to mix on a system with subs...

I've heard the Tria monitors in direct comparison with the 20/20s and some other higher end monitors. They sound about like I expected: small 20/20s with a sub. I could definitely hear more in the lower range. I think the tricky part with these would be room placement and having the proper area to use them in. I wouldn't want to put that sub under my desk and try to mix something. The difference in my computer speaker sub when it's under the desk versus in the open tells me that. I have enough trouble as it is getting a good room setup and placement with my pair of monitors.

I probably wouldn't buy them without listening to them either, as they do have a sound that's different from the rest of the monitor pairs I compared them to.

Mackie HR824 are very impressive in the low-end departement. I saw a guy A/B them with other 8" monitors, and when he kicked in the Mackie it was a whole different world, you could FEEL the bass and the walls shaking, it sounded like there was a sub.

Back