Monitors: Genelec vs. Adam

FreshChops

so I'm about to upgrade from a pair of Wharfedale monitors and have narrowed it down to with Genelecs or Adam.

I'm almost convinced on the Adam A7x (pair) and a Sub8 based off of reviews here and elsewhere.....

however, I have a friend who has spent a ton of time in many high end studios using Genelecs as well as previously owned a set of them. He insist that I give the Genelecs a try. I would consider a pair of 8030A's w/ a 7050B sub.

He has no experience with the Adam's so can't compare, but he can't imagine how they could be better than the Genelecs.

Anyone have any comparison experience, or even good / bad experiences with either? I open to other suggestions as well.

.... my room is 22' x 23' x 9(h)', and I'm committed to going with a sub too, even if it's not always a factor.

No experience with those monitors, but what's your opinion on the Wharfedales? Which model are they?

ADAM's are fine speakers, but I have to give the nod to Genelec most of the time. That said, I'm hypersensitive in the high end and the ADAM tweeters drive me batty if there is excessive high end issues (VDO whine, sibilance, etc.).

Once you get into that level of monitor, it's not about quality anymore, they are both great monitors, it's about personal preference.

The Genelecs are a little softer in the high end than the Adam's, most JBL's, KRK's and some other speakers that I can't think of right now.

That softness in the high end can let you mix longer without your ears getting burned out. I'm very sensitive to high end as well.

You need to listen to them both and decide. One of them is going to feel more comfortable to you, that's the one you should get. The better speaker is the one that allows you to do what you need to do wiithout getting in the way.

I'm almost convinced on the Adam A7x (pair) and a Sub8 based off of reviews here and elsewhere.....
Reviews are next to useless unless you know two things first: the ears of the reviewer and how they translate to you own ears.

As has been said, both models will be of fine construction and reliability, it comes down to picking the loudspeaker that your ears will prefer to work with. The only way to determine that is to give them a listen.

G.

I recently upgraded to A7x's from wharfdales.

Never used A7's but to me the new model has a very smooth high end.

There seems to be plenty of low end compared to the wharfdales which
I still consider very decent monitors for the price.

I recently upgraded to A7x's from wharfdales.

Never used A7's but to me the new model has a very smooth high end.

There seems to be plenty of low end compared to the wharfdales which
I still consider very decent monitors for the price.

Randy,
are you using a sub as well, or just the A7x's? What is your overall impression of them.... are you very satisfied or would you consider them adequate but look to upgrade any time soon? Overall, as well, would you recommend the A7X's too?

others,
I have no way to sample these monitors. Where are you guys referring to "to listen to them both"? Best I've got is two Guitar Centers 1 hour from me each way. Neither carry either of the two monitors. For me, it's a buy and try scenario I guess.

I have the Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 pro's. They are alright but a servicing nightmare. Now I have one blown tweeter. Servicing and parts is almost non-existent.

I'm not using a sub and don't feel there is a need. I'm plenty happy with them
they have a fuller sound than the wharfdales. Don't want to repeat myself but
well defined low end, crispy midrange and smoother high end.
They also put out a lot of sound. I normally only have my monitors half way up
any ways I find myself taking these down to 1/4 volume quite often.
I haven't experienced any of the so called buzzing or rattling some users have reported. I would say mine are about half broke end. Their also quite a bit smaller than the wharfdales.

Guitar center offered to track a set down and let me demo them but I just ordered a set from AMS.

Sorry to hear about your tweeter. The wharfdales seem to translate well but
seem to have a sterile sound. I played back a couple of mixes done on the
wharfdales and they sounded even better on the a7x's.

Back