Monitoring Volume Levels of Various Inputs/Outputs

oolongcamio

One main problem I am having is how to monitor the different volume levels when mixing the final product. So lets say we have...
The Computers Master Volume, The Software ( Ableton Lives) Master Volume, then of course the monitors themselves.
Should the volume levels of my computers output just be set to the middle, and the the monitor speakers levels set to whatever sounds comfortable?
I hope I am making sense. I just am not sure how to set things up accordingly, and also how to make sure each track I create sounds level when put on a cd. Unless there is a software of some sort that auto levels each song ? Thanks for any help everyone.

i am not familiar with the tools you are using, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind. if you are mixing on the computer, keep the master level set at 0db all the time as a fixed reference. adjust levels of individual tracks so that collectively they don't peak on the master. monitor your mixed output, via the master, through your monitoring system, at a level that is comfortable to your ears and allows you to hear the nuances of the mix.

as much as possible, stick to these settings. that way you get consistency in your mixes and minimise the risk of clipped results. by leaving as many things constant, you get a better understanding of what the effects of the things that do vary are.

First, you should have none of your gain stages (software, system speakers) turned all the way up.

Second, it typically recommended that one set their actual mixing volume for 80-85dBSPL at the listening position.

Third, it's much easier to control volume from a single location (a single pot, a pair of faders, etc.) than to control each speaker individually from their own separate on-speaker volume controls (which it sounds like you may have.)

OK, with the above in mind, try this procedure:

1.) Start by turning your speakers themselves down so they are audible but won't blast you out of your chair.

2.) Then get a test tone or pink noise or just a very dense mix and run it through your software, with that playback tracks peaking at 0dBFS (no clipping). in the mix channels. Then if your software has a master out volume control with metering, set that so it matches the tracking volume (or rides just below it, if you want a little safety margin.)

3.) Determine if the master volume control on the software is differet from your master soundcard volume or not (e.g. does changing the software volume change the wave playback volume setting for your soundcard/audio interface as well?)
If they are linked, then you can just use you software master volume control as your actual main playback volume control.
If they are not linked, then leave the software master volume where it's at after #2 (make a note of that setting, so if it's accidentally changed, you know what to bring it back to.)
If your software has no master volume control (meaning that you have skipped #2), then your soundcard volume control will be you main playback volume control.

4.) Set your main playback volume control to about 3/4 volume, or until any available digital meters are just below 0dBFS. With the volume at that setting, turn your speaker amplifiers up in tandem until you get a istening level at your listening position of somewhere around 80-85dBSPL (no more than 85.) Note those amp volume positions and mark them so you can go back to them if accidentally bumped later on.

5.) Your monitoring chain should now be set. Use the main playback volume control as determined in step 3 as your actual volume control.

Epilog: This process is based on the idea that you don't have an external mixer in your playback chain, which it sounds like you don't based upon your description. If you do have one though, then use the CR/Monitor volume control on that as your main volume control.

HTH,

G.

Thanks guys so much, this is extremely helpfull and I appreciate the lengthy responce as well. As of now my software does have the master volume. Being that Im using Ableton Live 5. I actual always liked having a thin sliver of a saftey margin so I usually have the "master out" a tad lower then each tracks volume.
Then I set each track to an equal volume of 0db and I tweak them ever so slightly in cases of clipping. If I see red ( which means clipping) in a track or the master out I just stay focused on getting rid of that and keeping all my tracks and master volume in the happy green zone.

Now that Ive got some input I feel more confident dealing with volume levels. Recordings such a large learning process (expecially if you want anything good to come of it) . I look at it as a whole new instrument in itself. Plus its hard doing it all by myself in my room.

Anyways thanks again guys , I really appreciate the responces :)

Back