Monitor Upgrade...Rockit8's to 20/20's or NS-10M-T's...???

mark4man

MoonMix Studios
hello again...

the problem:
my KRK Rockit8's have absolutely no bottom. for years now I've had to rely more on auditioning my bounced mixes on various stereo systems than on studio monitoring. The bass response of the rockit8's is at least 3 - 4.5 db below norm...so, of course, my mixes always have too much bass. everything else in the studio is top notch; & my ad/da is a lynx aurora 8.

I need to make a change...but the thing is...it can't be too expensive a change.

the solution:
1) have a chance to get a pair of EVENT 20/20's (passive) mfg.'d in the mid 90's (pre V2 & BAS), but it excellent shape. I'm told the 20/20's sport a very realistic, transparent bass response...which is what I desperately need.

2) I have a chance to get a par of YAMAHA NS-10M-T's (passive), which I'm told speak for themselves. But any input as to bass response w/ this make/model would be appreciated.

3) Would like to go w/ a Behringer A500 to power either set. I'm told they have a flat response w/ very low noise. Also considering an Alesis RA500.

any & all help/input/feedback here will be much appreciated...

thanx,

mark4man

Is this a joke?? I'm being serious.

1) Rockit 8s are VERY bass heavy.

2) the Event 20/20 is a good speaker

3) NS10s are good monitors but not for bass. But I'm referring to the NS 10M and the NS 10M studio.

The NS 10 T is not a good speaker.

Maybe your KRKs are busted if your get no bass out if them.

Last edited:

Maybe your krks are busted if your get no bass out if them.

I used to mix in a room with Rokit 8s and I agree. If you aren't getting 'enough' bass out of them either they are broken or your room acoustics are SERIOUSLY wonky.

Having used the KRK, I'd say they are useless for mixing. All bass and top end with no mids.

Would be great for tracking and getting pumped up with excitement, also great for listening, but not for mixing.

Mine lasted a couple of weeks in my studio before I offloaded them.
:D

2) the Event 20/20 is a good speaker

3) NS10s are good monitors but not for bass. But I'm referring to the NS 10M and the NS 10M studio.

The NS 10 T is not a good speaker.

Maybe your KRKs are busted if your get no bass out if them.

1) Agreed. Sounds like one of them is out of phase or something seriously wrong because they are not typically lacking in low end. Hyped would be more accurate description.

2) I have not used the 20/20 but I mostly mix now with Event TR8's. Very clear and accurate in midrange.

3) An obvious agreement. And yes, the NS10T's are crap. I wasted $100 on a pair of them once to try. Gave them away.

I have not had a chance to look into your previous posts mark4man, so I must ask what your room size is and if you have addressed it's needs for acoustic treatment. I have never heard of a KRK being lacking in low end or broken. I assume you may have room issues that are causing this and hope you don't make a poor purchase without having addressed this first. Though, I myself have use now for the KRKG28's but it is not so much for clarity in mixing. More to get volume from the hip hop guys and cranking for those who like to hear shit loud while tracking. Just as RFR referred to.

That being said, I spent a couple years with the KRK8's. I don't have so much of a hate for them as I do a realization over time that they were not as easy to 'learn' what they were telling me. That isn't something that can be taught. Just have to figure out that stuff yourself. But in an untreated small room (worst being square), all bets are off and you will never solve it with different monitors.

Last edited:
I had Rokit 8s and 1 broke so I went and got Yamaha HS 8s and thought they sounded like crap lol when I first played my stuff on them. The HS8s told me a completely different story than the rokits. I trust the HS8s are telling me a more truthful story.

I don't have any opinion on the gear you listed but itll be good for you to get something different.

I was given my Rokits, used them for 2 weeks, then gave them to someone who needed something. I could have kept them but I got lots of speakers.

You could, if you really spent time with them, and spent lots of time "learning" them with commercial releases, come up with good mixes. One could do that with any monitor.....

However, as massive master says, you cant mix what you can't hear. And the krks are missing a shitload of stuff in the mid section while pumping up the bass.

Btw, where did the OP go?

I bought the Rokit8's as my first set of monitors. I always have to play my mixes on other forms to check my mixes. What a waste of $$. I keep reading that the Yamaha hs8 are the way to go. But I read that about the Rokits 10 months ago. Wish I would have never bought them.

Back